Cebu is the gateway to vast lush jungles, relaxing white-sand beaches, and your adventure in the southern Philippines! As the second-largest city in the Philippines, Cebu brings attracts its fair share of travelers, all in search of the majestic whale sharks or maybe to island-hop their way through the country!
Cebu is not only a sprawling megacity, second only to Manila, it also has tons of backpackers hostels to choose from. With so many hostels spread out around the city, how long will it take to sort through them all to find the perfect place to base yourself out of when exploring Cebu?
Save your time and simply peruse your way through our one-stop guide! In a few minutes, YOU will not only know the best youth hostels in Cebu, but you will be one step closer to the adventure of a lifetime!
I hope you got your swimsuit on because we are about to dive into the top hostels in tropical Cebu!
So peep our guide to the top hostels in Cebu below!
Table of Contents
Quick answer: The Best Hostels in Cebu
- Best Overall Hostel in Cebu – Hostel Seven
- Best Party Hostel in Cebu– Mad Monkey Cebu City
- Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Cebu – Shejoje Poshtel Hostel
- Best Cheap Hostel in Cebu – Cebu Guest Inn
- Best Hostel for Couples in Cebu – Palazzo Pensionne
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Cebu – Murals Hostel and Cafe
- Best Hostel with a Private Room in Cebu – Bugoy Bikers Bed & Breakfast
The Best Hostels in Cebu
Everything may be more fun in the Philippines, but no matter what metropolis you stay in you are sure to find your fair share of shabby run-down hostels. Nothing can ruin a trip more than after a fun-filled day of exploring vibrant Cebu then returning to a backpackers hostel run by inconsiderate staff who let the bunks rot.
Word to the wise, when booking a youth hostel in Cebu be sure to pay attention to the location. Many of the hostels are located on the beach 100km away from Cebu! Enough with the negatives, here is your guide to the best hostels in all of Cebu, your first step to a life-changing adventure in the Philippines!
Best Overall Hostel in Cebu– Hostel Seven
– Shared Kitchen
Hostel Seven is truly your oasis in the middle of bustling Cebu. Not only are you staying in one of the most aesthetically appealing hostels in the whole city, but you also have direct access to an award-winning restaurant and 24-hour bar all within a few steps from your bunk bed!
Just when you thought it couldn’t get any better, it does! Weary backpackers can even lounge on the hostel’s rooftop terrace, where you can kick back, relax and enjoy the fresh air!
Best Party Hostel in Cebu – Mad Monkey Cebu City
– Crazy parties with private DJs
– Pool, games and sun deck
– Comfy, air-con rooms
You’re a party enthusiast? Say no more! The Mad Monkey Cebu City Hostel will definitely keep you up at night (if you choose that obviously). You can enjoy the day around the pool, get a nice crispy tan on the sun deck, and chill with your friends in the common area.
After sunset, you’ll want to be around the rooftop bar – with private Djs, cool parties and events, you’ll never have a boring night. Although the hostel has a ton to offer, it’s still very affordable. You can choose which room type you’d like to stay in too. All of them are equipped with comfy beds, private lockers, towels and an aircon.
Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Cebu– Shejoje Poshtel Hostel
– Capsule Hotel
As a solo backpacker, you want to usually find that sweet spot between having the option of meeting other travelers and being able to also have some valuable “me time”.
No place is better to have both privacy and a hostel atmosphere than staying in a capsule hotel! Each pod has its own fan, light, mirror, and outlet, meaning no more shooting dirty looks when someone is hogging the charger! With an onsite cafe and cozy rooms, Shejoje Poshtel is by far one of the coolest hostels in Cebu!
Best Cheap Hostel in Cebu– Cebu Guest Inn
– Rooftop Terrace
At Cebu Guest Inn you not only get some of the best budget beds in town but also the cheapest private rooms.
Although, a bit outside of the city center, you will be won over with this inn’s top class service, delicious food, and breathtaking views from the rooftop terrace. By far this is the best value for money you can get in Cebu and downtown is just a short jeepney ride away!
Best Hostel for Couples in Cebu– Palazzo Pensionne
For those looking to abandoned the dormitory and cuddle up in someplace cozy, Palazzo Pensionne will put you up in your own tastefully decorated private room located just minutes away from Cebu’s top sites and shopping centers.
Other than having a comfy room which will have you not wanting to leave your bed every morning this hotel also offers onsite currency exchange, laundry service, and cable TV. Palazzo Pensionne’s free breakfast is just the cherry on top making this one of the top recommended places to stay in Cebu!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Cebu–Murals Hostel and Cafe
– Coffee Shop
– Free Breakfast
Murals is the self-proclaimed “digital nomads haven” in Cebu and it’s easy to see why! Not only do they have a hip coffee shop attached to the hostel. The decor of the entire building maintains the same trendiness of the cafe.
With bottomless coffee and high-speed internet, you are sure to get all of your work editing and blogging done without a hitch! Although a bit outside of the city center, a trike or cab is always nearby.
Best Hostel with a Private Room in Cebu–Bugoy Bikers Bed & Breakfast
– Book Exchange
At Bugoy Bikers Bed & Breakfast you truly feel like part of the family. The homey atmosphere makes all those who walk through the door truly feel the warmness of the owners.
Other than just being your home away from home, Bugoy Bikers has some of the cheapest beds and private rooms in all of Cebu. The breakfast is also out of this world, giving you a true “mom and pop” family cooking experience.
More Best Hostels In Cebu
Some neighborhoods are more fun than others – discover which are the best areas to stay in Cebu and then book the right hostel!
– Swimming Pool
– Live Music
The newly opened Mad Monkey is truly the hostel to watch in Cebu! This backpackers paradise has its own Filipino fusion restaurant, pool, sun terrace, and even DJs who come to get the party started!
If that wasn’t enough, this hostel may soon be one of the top hostels in all of Cebu with its billiards room, beer pong, and many other games sure to keep you entertained for days!
– Rooftop Terrace
– Great Location
Bunks is a recently opened hostel located in the heart of Metro Cebu, putting you in the center of the action.
While the dorm rooms seem a bit uninspired and basic, the lobby, lounge, and rooftop terrace are all tastefully decorated, giving backpackers a great place to just kick it and hang out. With tons of restaurants and bars nearby, Bunks is the perfect place to base yourself out of when exploring the concrete jungle of Cebu!
– Outdoor Terrace
– Close to Airport
1521 Hostel is one of the best budget hostels close to the airport. Not only is this youth hostel one of the best places for a good nights sleep before boarding your flight the next day, but 1521 Hostel Mactan is located just a short walk away from the beach!
With its cafe, restaurant, and a rooftop terrace, travelers are sure to have all that they need to either to feel relaxed to fly to their next destination or begin to explore Cebu!
What to Pack for your Cebu Hostel
Pants, socks, underwear… Here are some other items you might not have thought to pack.
1. Playing Cards: Name your ideal night: I’m for a few cheap beers and some card games. Oh, and you don’t even have to be drinking to enjoy a game – having cards with you traveling definitely helps out on those long airplane or beach days! Make sure to snag a waterproof deck to protect from the pool, ocean or Chang.
2. TRTL Travel Pillow: Long flights and bus rides are quite uncomfortable (most obvious statement of the day). Most travel pillows… Well, you know how they are. TRTL travel pillow is different. I mean, look at it! It’ll cuddle you to sleep every ride and it does a pretty damn good job of supporting your neck so you don’t get that stiffness or legendary popping when you stir.
3. Sea to Summit Travel Soap: Soap can be very useful on long travels, but it’s hard to carry around. It might get taken off you at the airport or leak in your backpack. This Sea to Summit Travel Soap is the perfect solution for every backpacker with a thought for hygiene. The dry soap is super handy, and it definitely won’t leak (there’s nothing to leak). One box contains 50 leaves of soap, making sure that you’ll be clean, even on longer adventures.
4. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Having your own towel is a must when traveling since most hostels don’t provide them. Plus as a backpacker, use of a towel will extend further than just showers, it’s a minimalist yoga towel and a great beach blanket/towel combo! The Active Roots Microfiber Towel is really the best solution for backpacking.
5. Headphone Splitter: Don’t be those awkward people sharing one earbud on the bus, as you show off your in-depth music knowledge to your new friend. A headphone splitter is a great item to bring traveling, it works fantastic on those long bus rides or easy dorm Netflix nights when you want to relax and connect with someone.
6. Active Roots Toiletry Bag: Your toothpaste is lost in the depths of your backpack again? You won’t have this problem with the Active Roots Toiletry bag. The bag is made from a durable, water-resistant material, which can be a lifesaver on long travels. Super cool bonus: for every purchase, the company donates to an environmentally-friendly charity – it’s a win-win situation for everyone.
Why you should travel to Cebu
Cebu is so much more than just a jumping off point to the jungles and beaches in the Philippines. Cebu has tons of amazing restaurants, a lively nightlife, and an urban sprawl which can give you a more intimate look at Filipino culture!
Out of all of the superb hostels in Cebu, Hostel Seven takes the cake for checking of all of the boxes for what a perfect hostel should offer!
No matter if you are a history buff or beach bum, Cebu is sure to start your adventure in the Philippines off right!
Travel Safety Tips for Cebu
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
More Epic Hostels in The Philippines and Southeast Asia
Hopefully by now you’ve found the perfect hostel for your upcoming trip to Cebu.
Planning an epic trip all across The Philippines or even Southeast Asia itself?
Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered!
For more cool hostel guides around Southeast Asia, check out:
- Best hostels in Boracay
- Best hostels in El Nido
- Best hostels in Manila
- Best hostels in Kuala Lumpur
- Best hostels in Jakarta
- Best Airbnbs in Cebu
Over to you
By now I hope our epic guide to the best hostels in Cebu has helped you choose the perfect hostel for your adventure!
If you think we’ve missed anything or have any further thoughts, hit us up in the comments!
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.
Need More Inspiration?
Like this post? PIN ME!!!
Noodle addict. City dweller. Aaron Radcliffe is the marketing ninja for The Broke Backpacker, founder of Nomads Nation and Co-Founder of Ditch Your Desk.