The name of the beachside sin city of Pattaya is well known throughout the world and is usually received with a wink and a nudge. But this tropical paradise in Thailand is so much more than just a place to hit the bars and tear up the dance floor.
Pattaya also boasts plenty to explore with tons of hidden lagoons, ornate temples, and hikes leading up into the dense jungles. With parties every night and adventure during the day, you could easily spend your whole holiday traveling through Pattaya alone.
The only thing that may throw a wrench in your plans on traveling to Pattaya is the many dodgy hostels that are found in the downtown. With lawless parties and questionable quality, many of your average backpackers would steer clear of Pattaya – but we definitely wouldn’t kip it!
We brought all of the best hostels in Pattaya to one place so you can book with confidence that you will be staying in the best of what this seaside town has to offer. Slip-on your swim trunks, your holiday in sunny Pattaya awaits!
Quick Answer: The Best Hostels in Pattaya
- Overall Best Hostel in Pattaya – Happy Hostel
- Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Pattaya – Yes! Vegan Bed & Foods
- Best Cheap Hostel in Pattaya – Kaen Hostel
- Best Hostel for Couples in Pattaya – Breeze Hostel
- Best Party Hostel in Pattaya – Pattaya Holiday Lodge
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Pattaya – Nonze Hostel
The Best Hostels in Pattaya
Pattaya is not short on backpacker’s hostels but finding that one stay that fits how you like to travel is easier said than done. Not only do you want to find the right place to stay, but you also want to choose an awesome area in Pattaya to base yourself. Keep your eyes peeled why looking over our list, each of these fine Thai hostels is a little different from the last!
Best Overall Hostel in Pattaya – Happy Hostel
– Swimming Pool
– Breakfast Not Included
Keeping downtown Pattaya at an arm’s length distance, Happy Hostel will give you that good night’s sleep while still having all the best bars and clubs of Pattaya a short walk away.
For just a few Bhat more than some of the other hostels in town, Happy Hostel will give you some added comfort and quietness in the heart of Thailand’s sin city. Complete with lounges and a swimming pool, this is one hostel that you will be looking forward to simply kicking back and relaxing in. Top it off with its very own cafe, Happy Hostel has everything you need to feel right at home in Pattaya!
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Pattaya – Yes! Vegan Bed & Foods
Yes! backpacker’s hostel will not only hook up weary travelers with a cheap bed in one of the hippest hostels in Pattaya but this social travel hub also serves some of the most delicious vegan meals in the whole city!
With its very own cafe, you won’t ever have to think about where to eat each given night. If you manage to tear yourself away from the restaurant, you will find that this hostel also will have you staying just minutes away from Pattaya’s famous beaches! Even if you decided to just kick back at the hostel, Yes! has plenty of room to spread out in to mix with other the other guests.
Best Cheap Hostel in Pattaya – Kaen Hostel
– Rooftop Terrace
Thailand is a paradise for backpackers traveling on a shoestring. If you are looking to save a couple of extra Bhat while staying in Pattaya, Kaen Hostel will have you staying in not only some of the cheapest beds in town but in a backpacker’s hub with an ambiance and style unlike any other.
Complete with its very own rooftop bar and cafe, you can pull up a bean bag chair, grab a beer, and mix with the other guests. With stunning views of the surrounding city, you can’t help but fall in love with this unique youth hostel!
Best Hostel for Couples in Pattaya – Breeze Hostel
– Games Room
– Breakfast Not Included
If you are traveling as a couple, you will eventually want to cozy up and splurge on a private room. Lucky for you backpackers, Breeze Hostel can hook you up with a private room for the exact same price as a dorm bed with the other guys.
Not only will you be calling one of these budget rooms home for a couple of days, but you will also be able to enjoy all the perks and atmosphere of staying in a hostel. With a games room, lounge, and even an onsite restaurant, you can hang out with the other guests whenever the mood should strike you.
Best Party Hostel in Pattaya –Pattaya Holiday Lodge
– Free Breakfast
We know most of you backpackers out there came to Pattaya for one reason and one reason alone: to let loose and party! If you are looking to go crazy and grab a few beers, Pattaya Holiday Lodge is here to hook you up with a 24-hour rooftop bar that will have the booze constantly flowing!
The perfect way for every night on the town to start and end in with Pattaya Holiday Lodge! After a night of painting the town red, this hostel will nurse you back to health and have you back on your feet in no time with their free breakfast at their very own cafe. Top it off with lounges and a chill atmosphere, Pattaya Holiday Lodge secures its spot as one of the best hostels in Pattaya!
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you'll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered. Check out our full review here for more convincing.
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Pattaya – Nonze Hostel
– Breakfast Included
If you are a digital nomad living on the road, you will eventually need to find a hostel to call home for a few days to catch up on some much-needed writing and editing. Nonze Hostel will have you spending a little bit more when compared with the other guys, but the added comfort and space to spread out in will make for the perfect place to get down to work and get back to exploring all of what Pattaya has to offer.
While you are busy typing away, Nonze Hostel is here to hook you up with a great meal and a beer so you don’t have to tear yourself away from your laptop. After you put your finishing touches of that video, you will find that the beach and all the best sights are just a few steps away from your dorm bed.
Oh, and it has an indoor slide to help you get between floors, too!
More of the Best Hostels in Pattaya
– Bike Hire
Although Travel Light Hostel may be the last on our list, it is one hostel that packs quite a punch! This self-proclaimed luxury hostel will have you spending budget backpacker prices on a dorm bed while still enjoying all the added comfort and style of a hotel.
With its spacious rooms and inviting lounges, you will find that there is tons of room to spread out in and relax. Complete with its very own cafe, you will have your choice of grabbing a bite at the hostel or heading out to one of the great restaurants nearby!
What to Pack for your Pattaya Hostel
We don’t often travel without these essentials.
1. Power Bank: Showing up to a new city, after a 14-hour bus ride, with a dead phone and no directions to your hostel is a half-awake, messy nightmare. Putting a good power bank in your pack is the best and easiest way to keep your important electronics charged up for those long travel and sightseeing days.
2. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Quick-drying, lightweight, super soft and compact – the Active Roots Microfiber Towel is essential for every backpacker. No need to use the scabby towels your hostel may or may not provide! Use it for drying off, as a yoga towel or even as a picnic blanket – the options don’t stop here. Made of antibacterial material, you don’t have to worry about your towel starting to smell unpleasant either after lots of use.
3. Universal Travel Adapter: Not every country has the same electrical plug style, so carry along a universal travel adapter. You’ll want one that covers varying voltage levels, has protection from power surges, a fried laptop is not fun, and enough ports so you don’t have to spend all day individually charging your devices.
4. TRTL Travel Pillow: Get rid of the red eyes and yawning with this TRTL travel pillow. It’s not just a normal neck pillow (I mean, look at it!), the ergonomic design gives your neck and head so much comfortable support that you’ll actually be able to have some decent rest. Super easy to carry and clean, it takes up so little space compared to a traditional travel pillow.
5. Active Roots Water Bottle: Sturdy and durable, the Active Roots water bottle survives the roughest adventures while keeping your drink cold or hot for at least 24 hours. Vacuum-sealed and made from stainless steel, the bottle can fit 25oz, which is plenty to keep you hydrated. Super cool bonus: the bottle isn’t just super useful, it helps to reduce the single-use plastic waste – save the planet by filling up your bottle.
6. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: These simple earbuds will help you out. Keeping out most of the surrounding sounds, you can either choose to listen to some relaxing music or no sound at all while falling asleep. This can be a life-saver in some unexpected party hostels. Make sure you’re well-rested for the next adventures!
Why you should travel to Pattaya
In Pattaya, you will find that apart from your typical party hostels you will also find those perfect homes away from home that will have you falling in love with the city. From hostels that will have you chilling with other backpackers to guesthouses adding a little bit of extra privacy, you will have your pick of the best of what Pattaya has to offer.
Are you still torn between two or three great youth hostels in Pattaya? Let us point you in the right direction. For a classic backpacker’s experience and also a little added comfort, there is no better place than Happy Hostel, our pick for the best hostel in Pattaya!
Over to you
Temples, beaches, and bars oh my! Pattaya is a town teeming with life. With its neon lights and gentle sea breezes, you will always have the option of either spending a lazy day on the beach or catching a show at the local cabaret. From bars to clubs, the nightlife never stops in Pattaya! If you are looking to keep your holiday more low-key, Pattaya has you covered with lazy beaches and crystal clear waters.
If you are not a party animal, finding a place to call home in Pattaya may prove to be a bit difficult. You will find tons of backpacker’s hostels, but finding that one peaceful stay where you can just kick back and relax is easier said than done. With our list, you will be able to find that perfect hostel that fits just how you like to travel.
Have you ever traveled to Pattaya and stayed in a great backpacker’s hostel? We would love to hear about your trip! Let us know about any great hostels we may have missed in the comments below!
And don’t forget to sort your travel insurance before heading to Pattaya! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.