Known as the White City, Sucre has made a name for itself as the most beautiful town in all of Bolivia. With its classical architecture and rich history, Sucre is the kind of place perfect for kicking back for a few days and enjoying the charming atmosphere of the city! Surrounded by mountains and countless hikes, you will find just as much to do outside Sucre as in! From the proclaiming of independence to all the way back to the time of the dinosaurs, you could spend weeks exploring the museums alone!
Lucky for all you backpackers out there, Bolivia’s White City is home to many backpackers hostels. So many, that it is more than enough to make your head spin! You could spend hours tabbing through all the dorm rooms and budget guesthouses in Sucre, but how can you make sure that you are choosing the stay that best fits how you like to travel?
We made picking a hostel in Sucre easy with our one-stop guide! Within a matter of minutes, you will be able to find all the best hostels in Sucre and choose the one that best suits you!
The White City and all of its history are just around the corner! All it takes is just a few more clicks of the mouse!
Quick Answer: The Best Hostels in Sucre
- Overall Best Hostel in Sucre – Hostal CasArte Takumbamba
- Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Sucre – Imaynalla Hostel Restro & Bar
- Best Cheap Hostel in Sucre – 7 Patas Hostel
- Best Hostel for Couples in Sucre – Villa Oropeza Hostel
- Best Party Hostel in Sucre – Colors House
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Sucre – Kultur Berlin Sucre
The Best Hostels in Sucre
The busy city squares and massive museums of Sucre are calling your name! But first, let’s find that one hostel that you will be calling home. With each stay a little different from the last, keep your eyes open for that backpacker’s hostel best for you!
Best Overall Hostel in Sucre – Hostal CasArte Takumbamba
- Breakfast Included
If you are looking for a stay unlike any hostel you have stayed in before CasArte Takubamba will give you so much more than just your average cheap dorm room, this boutique-style hostel will dazzle you with everything from an onsite art gallery to a cafe! Putting you right smack in the heart of Sucre, you will find that all of the best museums and sites of the White City are just outside your door and this is just the beginning! Behind the doors of Hostal CasArte Takubamba, you will find cozy lounges, a bar, a cafe, and of course an art gallery showing off the work of Sucre’s up and coming artists! With free breakfast served every morning and an experience unlike any other, you will get a truly unique experience when staying at Hostal CasArte Takumbamba!
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Sucre – Imaynalla Hostel Restro & Bar
- Breakfast Included
After traveling alone throughout Bolivia, you will probably want to find a hostel where you can not only recharge your batteries but also kick back and socialize with other backpackers. Imaynalla Hostel is practically a backpackers resort, hooking up budget travelers with some of the cheapest beds in all of Sucre. Other than the dorm beds fitting for adventurers traveling on a shoestring, Imaynalla Hostel also comes with its very own restaurant and bar, meaning you won’t have to wander too far to find a great bite to eat or a stiff drink! With a terrace offering stunning views of the city and free breakfast served every morning, there is not a whole lot Imaynalla Hostel doesn’t offer!
Best Cheap Hostel in Sucre – 7 Patas Hostel
- Shared Kitchen
If you are a hardcore traveler or just a backpackers on a budget, you will be wanting to find every way possible to stretch your wallet as much as possible. 7 Patas Hostel will have you staying in not only the cheapest beds in all of Sucre but all in a part of local history! Situated in a historic colonial building in the heart of the White City, just one block away from the main square of Plaza 25 de Mayo, you could not ask for a better location near all the best cafes, bars, and nightlife of Sucre! When hanging out back at the hostel, 7 Patas will give you tons of room to kick back and relax in. With its very own terrace and lounge, there is no better place to call home while exploring all the beauty of Sucre!
Best Hostel for Couples in Sucre – Villa Oropeza Hostel
Traveling as a couple can be rewarding, but if you are on a budget you may not exactly be feeling the romance while kept apart in dorm beds. Let’s have all you backpacking couples out there reigniting the flames of love by booking you into Villa Oropeza Hostel, a stay offering the cheapest private rooms in all of Sucre! Other than the cheap beds, Villa Oropeza Hostel really ups the ante with their lounge and terrace, perfect for when you are wanting to kick back and chat with the other guests. The icing on top is the onsite cafe that will have you munching on some of the most delicious meals in all of Sucre!
Single-use plastic bottles are a huge threat to Marine Life – Be a part of the solution and travel with a filter water bottle.
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you’ll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered.
Read our full review of the GRAYL GEOPRESS!
Best Party Hostel in Sucre – Colors House
- Shared Kitchen
Are you a backpacker looking for a cheap place to crash for a few days before heading back out on the road? While in Sucre, Colors House will be your refuge for saving every dollar you can! But Colors House offers so much more than just a cheap dorm bed, this backpackers hostel also is home to its very own restaurant and bar, making it your go-to place for grabbing a bite to eat or a stiff drink! Other than the food, Colors House is a hostel that will also have you exploring Bolivian culture through their salsa nights, cooking classes, language classes and so much more! So if you are looking for the time of your life and the opportunity to party with some other backpackers, look no further than Colors House!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Sucre – Kultur Berlin Sucre
No matter if you are looking for a place to catch up on some writing, a place to party, or a place to get some much-needed shut-eye, KulturBerlin Sucre is a hostel that will check all of the boxes! With everything from cheap budget rooms to dorm beds, you will have your choice of how you want to experience this backpacker’s hostel. If you are wanting to put some finishing touches on that video or article, you will have tons of room to spread out in and get to work. Once you close your laptop, however, get ready to party! With an onsite bar and a restaurant, you will never have to walk too far to find a drink or a bite to eat! What will really blow you away is the nightly events that will have you enjoying Sucre to the fullest!
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
More of the Best Hostels in Sucre
- Rooftop Terrace
- Breakfast Included
Located right between Plaza 25 de Mayo and La Recoleta, you will be staying in the heart of Sucre nearby the central market and all the best sites of the White City. But it is not where Spanish Friends is located that makes this hostel so unique. Spanish Friends is so much more than one of the coziest backpackers hostels in Sucre, but they are also home to their own Spanish school! So if you are looking to brush up on your language skills before exploring Bolivia and beyond, there is no better place to start that Spanish Friends! Top it off with a cafe and a rooftop terrace, this hostel will make for your perfect new home away from home!
What to Pack for your Sucre Hostel
We don’t often travel without these essentials.
1. Power Bank: Showing up to a new city, after a 14-hour bus ride, with a dead phone and no directions to your hostel is a half-awake, messy nightmare. Putting a good power bank in your pack is the best and easiest way to keep your important electronics charged up for those long travel and sightseeing days.
2. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Quick-drying, lightweight, super soft and compact – the Active Roots Microfiber Towel is essential for every backpacker. No need to use the scabby towels your hostel may or may not provide! Use it for drying off, as a yoga towel or even as a picnic blanket – the options don’t stop here. Made of antibacterial material, you don’t have to worry about your towel starting to smell unpleasant either after lots of use.
3. Universal Travel Adapter: Not every country has the same electrical plug style, so carry along a universal travel adapter. You’ll want one that covers varying voltage levels, has protection from power surges, a fried laptop is not fun, and enough ports so you don’t have to spend all day individually charging your devices.
4. TRTL Travel Pillow: Get rid of the red eyes and yawning with this TRTL travel pillow. It’s not just a normal neck pillow (I mean, look at it!), the ergonomic design gives your neck and head so much comfortable support that you’ll actually be able to have some decent rest. Super easy to carry and clean, it takes up so little space compared to a traditional travel pillow.
5. Active Roots Water Bottle: Sturdy and durable, the Active Roots water bottle survives the roughest adventures while keeping your drink cold or hot for at least 24 hours. Vacuum-sealed and made from stainless steel, the bottle can fit 25oz, which is plenty to keep you hydrated. Super cool bonus: the bottle isn’t just super useful, it helps to reduce the single-use plastic waste – save the planet by filling up your bottle.
6. Noise-Cancelling Earbuds: These simple earbuds will help you out. Keeping out most of the surrounding sounds, you can either choose to listen to some relaxing music or no sound at all while falling asleep. This can be a life-saver in some unexpected party hostels. Make sure you’re well-rested for the next adventures!
Why you should travel to Sucre
The White City awaits! All the history and beauty of Sucre can not be explored in only a couple of days, so be sure to find that one backpacker’s hostel that best fits how you like to travel and that can be your home away from home while you fall more in love with Bolivia!
Still a bit unsure on where to stay in Sucre? Let us help you get the ball moving by giving you our recommendation. For that one stay that will have you enjoying Sucre to the fullest be sure to check into Hostal CasArte Takumbamba, our pick for the best hostel in Sucre!
Over to you
Stroll down the historic lanes, people-watch in Plaza 25 de Mayo, deepen your knowledge of Bolivian history in the museums and send your tastebuds to heaven in one of the delicious restaurants, Sucre is a city that offers a little bit of everything! The White City is so much more than a place full of stunning architecture, you will discover that Sucre also has a distinctive culture and history that will keep you captivated and wanting to never leave! From its churches to its bars, there is always something new to experience!
Backpackers will find that Sucre is also home to many great youth hostels! From party hostels to laid-back stays perfect for simply relaxing, you will have your choice of many different kinds of dorm rooms and guesthouses. Where you end up booking yourself into is sure to set the tone for your adventure in Sucre!
If you have ever traveled to Sucre we would love to hear about your trip! Have we missed any great backpacker’s hostels? Let us know in the comments below!
And don’t forget Travel Insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of Travel Insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads, our favorite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.