Ancient, fascinating and culturally vibrant; Malta is one of the most awesome places to visit in Europe! This small, yet eclectic group of islands is overflowing with amazing activities and opportunities to explore and learn
Surrounded by the beautiful Mediterranean Sea, there are some breath-taking discoveries to make here.
With so much on offer, it can be quite overwhelming when trying to decide where to stay in Malta.
But with our easy, step-by-step guide, you’ll find the best areas to stay in Malta to meet your interests and budget!
Without further ado, here’s our guide to where to stay in Malta.
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Malta
- Where to stay in Malta first time – Valletta
- Where to stay in Malta on a budget – Bugibba
- Best area to stay in Malta for nightlife – Sliema
- The coolest place to stay in Malta – Marsaxlokk
- Best neighborhood in Malta for families – Gozo
- Head to the beautiful and gothic St John’s Cathedral, built between 1573 and 1577!
- Learn all about the Second World War and Malta’s significant role in it by visiting the Lascaris War Rooms!
- Every day, you’ll hear the saluting battery, which is the oldest operating battery in the world!
Looking for a specific stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Malta…
Best Hostel in Malta: Sunset Seaview Accommodation
As you can tell from the 10/10 ratings, this hostel is the best place for you to stay if you’re planning on travelling on a budget! This hostel is in Gozo, which is the smaller of Malta’s two islands and our recommendation for the best place to stay in Malta for families!
Its location is fantastic and the service is great- what more could you want?
Head over to our comprehensive guide to the best hostels in Malta before starting your backpacking adventure!VIEW ON HOSTELWORLD
Best Airbnb in Malta: Veneranda Studio with terrace and city views
This gorgeous apartment overlooking the delights of Malta’s capital city, Valletta is our top recommendation as to the best Airbnb in Malta! With your private balcony, you can bask in the Mediterranean sunshine and enjoy a late-night cocktail!
Excellently located, you can get to all of Valetta’s top attractions from here!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Malta: Cugo Gran Macina Grand Harbour
This hotel has the perfect mixture of traditional and modern, set in a beautiful ancient building. However, just because it’s old doesn’t mean it’s outdated. There is an outdoor pool, a fantastic restaurant and car hire is available!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Malta
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
Malta is the gem of the Mediterranean. An archipelago lying 80km south of Italy, this is a delightful community of friendly locals and a popular tourist spot! With 500,000 residents, it’s also the fifth most densely populated country in the world, but don’t let that put you off! There’s so many wide-open spaces here or beautiful mountains and beaches, as well as some fascinating geographical formations for you to take in!
Alongside the amazing sites are museums to explain them all to you as well! Having been inhabited since 5900BC, there is so much ancient history t discover and fascinating landmarks to explore! If you’re looking for somewhere to relax but also to learn, then Malta is the best place for you to visit!
Malta is also home to some amazing wildlife and indigenous plant life, all of which can be found right on your doorstep! As well as some outstanding natural environments to explore, you’ll also be fortunate enough to enjoy one of Europe’s most popular tourist destinations! Malta’s towns are teeming with culture and vibrancy, with restaurants, museums and art galleries around every cobbled-street corner!
If you want to see Malta’s finest city for your first ever visit to these beautiful islands, you simply have to go to Valetta, the country’s capital city. Where else can you learn all there is to know about Malta whilst being able to see it first hand for yourself? However, as it is the capital city, it can be a little on the pricey side, but Malta isn’t just for people who want to splash the cash!
If you want to visit this amazing place without burning your pockets, the best place for you to stay is Bugibba, which boasts some amazing natural landscapes to explore.
If you’re a bit of a party animal, popular seaside resort Sliema is the best place to enjoy amazing activities in the day and the night! Enjoy some sunset drinks overlooking the gorgeous Med!
The great thing about Malta is that despite its popularity, there are still parts of these islands that remain unexplored and secret, and the best place to visit to make some of these discoveries is Marsaxlokk which is our recommendation for the coolest place to stay in Malta!
Bringing the kids? Don’t panic, we’ve got you covered for that too! Gozo is the smaller of the islands making up the country of Malta, and this delightful spot is just as beautiful as the main island but without so many people, giving your family the peace and privacy to spend some quality time together.
Getting to and around Malta is really easy too! Malta International Airport is the only airport but it is very busy! There are also three ports which are regular hosts to large cruise ships, and getting around the country itself is easy – roads are plentiful and buses are reliable and regular!
Malta’s 5 Neighborhoods to Stay in
With so much history and beautiful surroundings, Malta is one of the best places to visit in Europe!
As the capital of the country, this city is truly the heart and soul of Malta! Located in the South Eastern Region of the main island, this city is a spectacular example of incredible Mediterranean architecture and culture!
There are so many historically significant buildings in this city and the accommodation is to die for! As the most southern capital of Europe, you’ll enjoy a glorious sunshine-filled break!
Things to See and Do in Valletta
– Head to the beautiful and gothic St John’s Cathedral, built between 1573 and 1577! If you’re a fan of Baroque architecture and amazing art, this is the place for you!
– Take a stroll around the breath-taking Upper Barrakka Gardens. They have some beautiful plants and flowers and amazing views over the Grand Harbour!
– If you want to see the real beauty of this fantastic city, head down to the waterfront! Here, you can find gorgeous restaurants, bars and enjoy a drink at sunset! Or, if you want to see the city from a different perspective, why not hire a boat and see Malta’s capital from the Mediterranean!
– Learn all about the Second World War and Malta’s significant role in it by visiting the Lascaris War Rooms! They consist of a complex network of underground tunnels and chambers where some of the most important decisions of the 20th century were made!
– Every day, you’ll hear the saluting battery, which is the oldest operating battery in the world! Amazing, historic guns which you can also get a tour around!
Best Hostel in Valletta: British Hotel
If you’re looking for a slice of something familiar during your travels, why not head to the British Hotel? It is very reasonably priced and perfectly located on one of Valletta’s iconic terraced, cobbled streets.
Overlooking the Grand Harbour, you’ll have views to die for without breaking the bank!VIEW ON HOSTELWORLD
Best Airbnb in Valletta: Charming Maltese Home of Character near Valletta
If you’re looking for something truly rustic and unique, then this is definitely the best place to stay in Valletta for you!
With stone walls and an authentic style, this miniature Maltese townhouse boasts an amazing location and a chilled out, relaxed atmosphere!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Valletta: Hotel Phoenicia Malta
Centrally located, elegantly furnished and conveniently accessible, this hotel has everything you could want and more during your exciting city stay.
There’s an outdoor pool, outdoor terrace to enjoy a drink on and even a hot tub if you’re feeling like properly relaxing!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
This cheaper alternative to the other towns on Malta is as beautiful and fascinating as the next one! With the chance to go wild swimming, walking and sunbathing, this is also the best place in Malta to stay if you want to relax.
This is also a great chance to get outdoors and see some of the fascinating wildlife this area has to offer!
Things to See and Do in Bugibba
– Take a dip in the beautiful Mediterranean Sea at Qawra Beach! This is a rocky pool where you can immerse yourself in the crystal-clear waters, and there’s even a beach bar for you to enjoy a drink at after your swim!
– After your swim, why don’t you find out all about the ocean you’ve been in at the Malta National Aquarium!
– More for the nature-lovers out there! Bird Park Malta is the best place to visit for you to get to know the local wildlife, including flamingos!
– Why not step back in time and head to the Medieval Wignacourt Tower! Not only are there spectacular views across the Mediterranean, but there’s also an amazing museum!
– For some lovely views and a romantic stroll, head to Qawra Point Beach. Lovely views and it will give you a chance to get some sea air!
Best Hostel in Bugibba: The San Anton Hotel
Fancy an amazing break without an amazing price? Look no further than this hostel just outside Bugibba, where you’ll have a balcony with your room and access to loads of great facilities. These include a pool, games room and much more!VIEW ON HOSTELWORLD
Best Airbnb in Bugibba: Seaview Penthouse
This penthouse suite boasts gorgeous views over the sea from the front terrace, where you can enjoy a hearty breakfast before taking on the town and exploring!
Sleeping 4, this apartment has lovely bright rooms and plenty of space for you and your friends.VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Bugibba: Il Palazzin Hotel
Just around the corner from Malta’s National Aquarium is this lovely hotel. Great views of the sea and an even greater restaurant, you’ll be the envy of your friends when they see your pictures of this gorgeous hotel!
Without breaking the bank, you can have an awesome stay jam-packed with inexpensive luxuries!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Sliema is a beautiful town just around the coastline from Valetta, Malta’s capital! Not only are there great night clubs for a night dancing away, but there are also some amazing historical cultural sights to see off the hangover.
With some amazing accommodation on offer, we’ve got you covered for the perfect place to stay in Malta if you’re a bit of a party animal!
Things to See and Do in Sliema
– Why not take a tour around the breath-taking Stella Maris Church Sliema? There is some amazing art and it is a great chance to get some peace and quiet!
– For a bit of fun and feathers, then head to Duck Village! For a bit of fun and a chance to see some adorable animals, there’s nowhere else.
– Why not take a drive over to Manoel Island, where you can visit Fort Manoel! It’s an 18-century fort overlooking the Mediterranean, in a star-shape! There are amazingly well-restored bastions and walls, it’ll be like stepping back in time.
– If you want to start your night by winning some money, why not head to some of the casinos to be found in St Julian’s which is just a short drive from Sliema!
– For some history and luxury, head to Fort Tigne, where you’ll find an amazing military landmark, but also a gorgeous Mediterranean beach! What more could you want?
– In order to boogie the night away, head to one of the amazing nightclubs in Sliema. Some of our recommendations are Pearl Beach, Splash Boat Party Malta and Mable’s Magic Roof Garden!
Best Hostel in Sliema: Granny’s Inn Hotel
Just as you’d expect when going to your Granny’s to stay, here, you’ll find a warm welcome, plenty of food and friendly staff to help you enjoy your stay as much as possible. Just a five-minute walk from the beach, you’ll be able to cure your hangover easily!
There are high-speed Wi-Fi and a rooftop terrace!VIEW ON HOSTELWORLD
Best Airbnb in Sliema: Highly Furnished, Modern Apartment
This is a very stylish and modern option for you if you’re looking for a contemporary pad to enjoy on your stay. With a large kitchen/diner, this is the perfect place to host pre-drinks before taking on the town of Sliema.
With 2 bedrooms, there is ample room for you and your friends to relax and unwind in!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Sliema: Mr Todd Hotel
Just a 15-minute walk from Sliema’s delightful promenade, you’ll find this elegant and stylish hotel. Perfect if you’re planning on exploring Sliema at night, there’s a 24-hour front desk, room service and a bar available for use!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
This exquisite fishing village is the perfect place to immerse yourself into quintessential Maltese culture. With markets, cafes, and a gorgeous harbour, what else could you ask for?
We have found this hidden treasure and some great accommodation there for you to enjoy on your cool stay! Take a dip in the ocean or explore the small, ancient streets of this delightful town!
Things to See and Do in Marsaxlokk
– If you’re in this delightful fishing town on a Sunday, then head to the Sunday Market! Not only is it a great place to meet people, but it’s also a great place to get some great fresh produce or a souvenir to take back home!
– Take a dip in the majestic Mediterranean in St Peter’s Pool or sunbathe on the sandstone rocks that are beside it! Soak up some rays and get a tan.
– The Sanctuary of Our Lady of the Rosary of Pompei is the heart of the town and receives thousands of pilgrims every year! It is a beautiful building in itself so great for some photography too!
– If you want breath-taking views across the sea then look no further than the old lighthouse which can be found at Fort Delimara!
– Delve into the beauty of the Maltese underworld at Ghar Dalam Cave! With Paleolithic art and a museum! There are even human remains and Ice Age-old artefacts!
Best Airbnb in Marsaxlokk: Brand New Sky Villas with Private Pool
Fancy taking a bath in your own private pool while overlooking the aqua blue Mediterranean Sea? Then this is the best place for you to stay!
Within walking distance, you’ll find beaches, shops and restaurants, and you can relax in your own space comfortably, with a private terrace and Wi-Fi available!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Marsaxlokk: Harbour Lodge
This is a simple yet charming guesthouse with friendly and attentive staff. You can store luggage and get lifts to and from the airport to make sure your journey is as easy as possible. There’s a lovely restaurant on-site for you to enjoy some local delicacies too!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Marsaxlokk: South Wind Guesthouse
With large, spacious rooms you’ll be able to truly relax and unwind here. There are so many facilities here to make it as comfortable as possible for you; a flat-screen TV, a continental breakfast, free Wi-Fi and a private bathroom! All your needs will be catered for!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Organising a family holiday can be stressful, especially when there’s a lot of you. But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered, and the best place to stay in Malta for families is definitely Gozo.
It’s a small island just to the west of the mainland island of Malta, and it is its own secret oasis of amazing historical sites and some breathtakingly beautiful beaches for you to relax on!
Things to See and Do in Gozo
– Get out to the coast and see an amazing geographical feature of an arch! Known as the Azure Window, this is an amazing sight to see, especially when the sea is a little rough!
– Take the family for a little treat to a vineyard! Although the kids can’t get on the wine tasting, the views are spectacular, and it will be a great place for them to get some fresh, countryside air.
– Take a dip in the ocean at Ramla Beach! A gorgeous, secluded cove with great surf and delicate sands!
– If you’d like a bit of ancient education, head to Ggantija! Here, you’ll find two well-preserved limestone Neolithic temples – it’s one of the oldest monuments of its kind in the world!
– A great family activity is seaside salt-harvesting! Something you’ve never heard of? Well, it’s a Maltese delicacy – real sea salt in the most gorgeous setting!
Best Hostel in Gozo: Sea Star Apartments
These apartments give you all the benefits of a brilliant, private space without the extortionate prices! If you’re bringing the kids and want to save a bit of money, this is the perfect option for a family wanting a bit of quality time together.
In each apartment, there’s a kitchen and living area, as well as a balcony overlooking the bay!VIEW ON HOSTELWORLD
Best Airbnb in Gozo: Farmhouse Palma
This fantastic house is the perfect mixture of traditional Maltese architecture and all the modern amenities needed by a 21st-century family. With an outdoor pool, this converted farmhouse is located in an isolated position down an old cart track, so it’s perfect if you want some private, family time.VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Gozo: Kempinski Hotel San Lawrenz
This is a great place to stay if you want a family holiday with a bit of luxury! There’s both an indoor and an outdoor pool, so no matter the weather you can always enjoy a relaxing dip!
You can enjoy the wonderful food served up in the restaurant and your own balcony depending on which room you select. The hot tub, steam room and child’s pool make this the most relaxing hotel on Gozo!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Malta
Incredible history, stunning scenery and a variety of fabulous activities. It’s no wonder Malta is so popular with tourists of all ages!
To recap: Valetta is our number one choice for the best place to stay in Malta for the first time. As the capital city of this fabulous country, this is where you can learn all about this country and see its vibrant culture for yourself.
For a luxurious stay, look no further than Cugo Gran Macina Grand Harbour– a relaxing and stress-free stay!
If you are travelling on a budget, then we recommend the brilliant Sunset Seaview Accommodation. A brilliant hostel without the extortionate price!
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments below! Otherwise, enjoy your travels!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email [email protected] to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.