The capital of the state of Oklahoma, Oklahoma City is an ideal holiday destination if you enjoy the outdoors. Known as ‘The Big Friendly’, the city is busy, modern, and interesting.
Oklahoma contrasts very hot and humid summers with freezing cold winters, so it’s best to visit in spring or autumn when you can enjoy the outdoor activities. However, even if you visit in other seasons, the city has great food and nightlife as well as lots of interesting attractions to explore.
So now you know when to visit, but how to decide where to stay in Oklahoma City? To help you figure it all out, we’ve created this guide on Oklahoma City’s best areas and accommodation – for any travel style and budget.
- Where to Stay in Oklahoma City
- Oklahoma City Neighborhood Guide
- Oklahoma City’s 3 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
- 1. Downtown – Where to Stay in Oklahoma City for your First Visit
- 2. North Oklahoma City – Where to Stay in Oklahoma City on a Budget
- 3. Bricktown – Best Neighborhood in Oklahoma City for Families
- Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Oklahoma City
Where to Stay in Oklahoma City
Not too fussed which area of Oklahoma City you stay in? Check out our top accommodation picks.
Best Airbnb in Oklahoma City: Mid Century Modern Getaway
This guesthouse sits in the Plaza District and sleeps up to two guests. It offers bright, cheerful spaces and is surrounded by shops and restaurants. The property is also a stone’s throw away from Downtown, so you’ll have plenty to explore.
Best Hotel in Oklahoma City: Candlewood Suites Oklahoma City
Located in Bricktown, this three-star hotel has free parking, Wi-Fi, family rooms, and a great fitness center. The rooms are comfortable and spacious and contain all the usual amenities.
Best Luxury Airbnb in Oklahoma City: Cozy Updated House in Perfect Location
This lovely house is a great choice when you’re deciding where to stay in Oklahoma City for families. It’s located in a quiet neighborhood and has a full kitchen, laundry facilities, and space for up to six guests. It’s also got a yard, making it great if you’re bringing Fido along!
Cozy Updated House in Perfect Location is one of our favourites in Oklahoma City but they’re not taking guests right now. We’re not sure if they’re closed for good but we hope they’ll come back soon.
Oklahoma City Neighborhood Guide
Busy, modern, and filled with attractions, shops, and restaurants, Downtown is the best choice when you’re deciding where to stay in Oklahoma City for one night or on your first trip. Staying in this area means you’ll be able to see the city’s best attractions quickly.
North Oklahoma City
North Oklahoma City encompasses several neighborhoods that are fairly close together and close to the attractions in this part of the city. This area is close to the Downtown but far enough away that you’ll find lots of budget accommodation options.
If you’re trying to decide where to stay in Bricktown with kids who need to be entertained, then you’ll love Bricktown. Located close to the center of the city, Bricktown was once an industrial area turned into the most trendy and lively part of the city.
Oklahoma City is a fairly large, modern city and it has good public transport options across the central area. However, if you plan to spend a lot of time outside the city (and you should if you want to enjoy the outdoor activities), then you might want to hire a car to get around.
The Downtown area is the best place to stay if you’re visiting Oklahoma City for the first time. It has a good collection of attractions, nightclubs, restaurants, and shops, as well as public transport links to other parts of town.
If you’re traveling on a budget, then try the area north of Downtown. This area is local but still filled with attractions and great restaurants. Best of all, you’ll be able to take advantage of local prices while you’re there!
The final area on this list is Bricktown. This compact part of the city contains all the best restaurants and shops, so it’s ideal when you’re traveling with kids who need plenty of entertainment throughout the day.
Oklahoma City’s 3 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
Now, let’s take a closer look at where you can find the best accommodation in Oklahoma City.
1. Downtown – Where to Stay in Oklahoma City for your First Visit
- COOLEST Thing to Do in Downtown – See a game or a concert at the Chesapeake Arena.
- BEST Place to Visit in Downtown – The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame for a look at the history of sports in the state.
Busy, modern, and filled with attractions, shops, and restaurants, Downtown is ideal when you’re deciding where to stay in Oklahoma City on your first visit. Basing yourself in this area means you’ll be able to easily explore Oklahoma’s best attractions. You shouldn’t have any trouble finding connections out of the city to explore the natural landscape either, which also makes it the ideal jumping-off point for exploring Route 66.
The Downtown area also offers some of the best hotels in the city, so you should be able to find somewhere to stay no matter what your budget is like.
Best Hotel in Downtown: SpringHill Suites by Marriott
This three-star bed and breakfast hotel in Oklahoma is close to pretty much everything Downtown. It has a restaurant and bar on-site, although it’s also close to some of the best eateries in the city. The hotel offers a complimentary breakfast daily, so you can fuel up before a day of exploring.
Best Airbnb in Downtown: MidLiv
This cozy home sleeps six guests across three bedrooms. It has a kitchen, free parking, and a fireplace – basically everything you’ll need for a comfortable stay. It sits in the heart of Downtown, so you’ll have plenty to see and do on your doorstep.
MidLiv is one of our favourites in Oklahoma City but they’re not taking guests right now. We’re not sure if they’re closed for good but we hope they’ll come back soon.
Best Luxury Airbnb in Downtown: Downtown Patio Views
This gorgeous apartment has breathtaking views of the city and a third-story terrace from which to enjoy them. The inside space has large windows, vintage woods, and an industrial modern design that’s both gorgeous and welcoming.
Downtown Patio Views is one of our favourites in Oklahoma City but they’re not taking guests right now. We’re not sure if they’re closed for good but we hope they’ll come back soon.
Things to See and Do in Downtown:
- Remember the victims of the Murrah Building Bombing at the Oklahoma City National Memorial & Museum.
- Head out for a drink with friends at the O Bar or Skinny Slim’s.
- Learn about the history of American art at the Oklahoma City Museum of Art.
- Get back to nature at the Myriad Botanical Gardens.
- Have a meal at Grey Sweater, the Black Walnut, or Deep Deuce Grill.
- Listen to some local music at the Civic Center Music Hall or the Auditorium at The Douglass.
- Take the kids to enjoy the rides at Hurricane Harbor Oklahoma City.
2. North Oklahoma City – Where to Stay in Oklahoma City on a Budget
- COOLEST Thing to Do in North Oklahoma City – Take the kids to enjoy the displays at The Oklahoma Science Museum.
- BEST Place to Visit in North Oklahoma City – Frontier City for rides and thrills that everyone in your travel group will love.
North Oklahoma City encompasses several neighborhoods that are fairly close together. The area is close to downtown but far enough away that you’ll find lots of cheaper places to stay.
This part of the city also offers good transport links, so you can easily get around and explore. There are also several popular restaurants and shopping areas that are mostly for the locals. That means better prices during your trip!
Best Airbnb in North Oklahoma City: Centrally Located Guest Suite on 2 Acres
This guest suite is all about the outdoor spaces. Set on two acres of private land, it offers room for visitors to enjoy the outdoors yet is just minutes from the attractions of North Oklahoma City. It’s suitable for two guests, has a private entrance, and a lovely outdoor area.
Best Luxury Airbnb in North Oklahoma City: TLC Comfy Cozy Nest
Located close to the Adventure District, this home has three bedrooms and can sleep up to eight guests. It’s just moments from local attractions and offers a relaxed, welcoming atmosphere that the whole family will love!
Best Hotel in North Oklahoma City: Hyatt Place OKC
This Oklahoma City hotel has its own bar where you can relax after a long day of sightseeing. It’s close to local restaurants and offers comfortable and stylish rooms, each with an ensuite bathroom.
Things to See and Do in North Oklahoma City:
- Immerse yourself in the Wild West at the National Cowboy & Western Heritage Museum.
- Practice your swing at the Lincoln Park Golf Course.
- Learn about the often-hidden side of the city at the Oklahoma Black Museum & Performing Arts Center.
- Learn about the history of softball at the USA Softball Hall of Fame Complex.
- Marvel at firefighting equipment from the 18th century at the Oklahoma Firefighters Museum.
- Take a break and eat something delicious at Poe Boyz House, Ice Events Center & Grill, or Bedlam BAR-B-Q Dine in and patio.
- Test your nerves at the Lost Lakes Haunted Forest.
3. Bricktown – Best Neighborhood in Oklahoma City for Families
- COOLEST Thing to Do in Bricktown – Take a Bricktown Water Taxi along the Canal to see the city from a different viewpoint.
- BEST Place to Visit in Bricktown – Bricktown River Walk Park for walking trails, restaurants, and outdoor art.
If you’re trying to decide where to stay in Bricktown with kids who need to be entertained, then you’ll love Bricktown. Located close to the center of the city, Bricktown was once an industrial area turned into the trendiest and liveliest neighborhood.
This is a small area, but it’s literally packed with shops, restaurants, piano lounges, and everything else you could want for entertainment. This is what also makes it the best choice when you’re deciding where to stay in Oklahoma City for nightlife. Despite being one of the liveliest districts in the city, it remains a safe place to be for families.
Best Airbnb in Bricktown: Spacious Studio in Deep Deuce
This spacious studio sleeps two guests and offers modern facilities. It sits just outside central Bricktown and is ideally situated close to town amenities.
Best Hotel in Bricktown: Holiday Inn Express & Suites
This hotel is one of the best places to stay in Oklahoma City as it offers great amenities at a budget price. It has an indoor pool, fitness center, and rooms with fridges and microwaves. The hotel serves a complimentary breakfast every morning and is also surrounded by shops and restaurants.
Best Luxury Airbnb in Bricktown: OKC Arts District Condo
This condo is within walking distance of all the attractions of Bricktown and sleeps three guests. It has minimalist decor along with a balcony, modern kitchen, and laundry facilities and is just steps from some great shops and restaurants!
OKC Arts District Condo is one of our favourites in Oklahoma City but they’re not taking guests right now. We’re not sure if they’re closed for good but we hope they’ll come back soon.
Things to See and Do in Bricktown:
- Have some laughs at the Bricktown Comedy Club.
- Take the kids to see a movie or see one yourself at the Harkins Theatres Bricktown 16.
- Try some old-fashioned bowling and have a meal at HeyDay Entertainment.
- Play laser tag, pool, or mini-golf at Brickopolis Entertainment.
- Enjoy some burgers at beer at Bricktown Brewery.
- Learn about this peculiar instrument at the American Banjo Museum.
A new country, a new contract, a new piece of plastic – booooring. Instead, buy an eSIM!
An eSIM works just like an app: you buy it, you download it, and BOOM! You’re connected. It’s just that easy.
Is your phone eSIM ready? Read about how e-Sims work or click below to see one of the top eSIM providers on the market and ditch the plastic.Buy an eSIM!
Don’t Forget Travel Insurance for Oklahoma City
World Nomads’ mission is to support and encourage travellers to explore their boundaries. They offer simple & flexible travel insurance, and safety advice to help you travel confidently.
They’ve been doing it since 2002 – protecting, connecting, and inspiring independent travellers just like you.
Get a quote below or read our in-depth review!
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Oklahoma City
Oklahoma City’s best neighborhoods have a combination of great accommodation and restaurants as well as easy access to fun attractions. So the next time you’re looking for a new place for a weekend break or a longer vacation, why not check out this city? You’ll love the combination of the natural beauty surrounding the city and the slightly unusual culture inside it.
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email [email protected] to find out how.
Bye for now, but not forever!
If you want MORE top-tier Broke Backpacker content like this, then sign up for our weekly newsletter below to get the latest and greatest!
And for transparency’s sake, please know that some of the links in our content are affiliate links. That means that if you book your accommodation, buy your gear, or sort your insurance through our link, we earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you). That said, we only link to the gear we trust and never recommend services we don’t believe are up to scratch. Again, thank you!