Every country has one place where people come from all over the globe to throw down and party like it was the end of the world. For Costa Rica, their clubbing capital is located in the beach town of Tamarindo! Get ready for endless drinks and to party like a true Latino!
You might come for the dancing, but you will want to call Tamarindo home for the beaches. The turquoise waters and endless stretches of golden sand will have you wanting to never leave the coast of Costa Rica!
Regardless if you are in Tamarindo for a raging party or a relaxing vacation under a sun umbrella, you will need to find the perfect hostel to suit how you travel!
Spend more time picking out your bathing suit and less picking hostels! We made finding the perfect backpackers hostel easy with this stress-free guide!
Get ready to sink your toes in the sand, you Tamarindo adventure starts here!
Quick answer: The Best Hostels in Tamarindo
- Best Overall Hostel in Tamarindo – Blue Trailz Hostel & Surf Camp
- Best Party Hostel in Tamarindo – Pura Vida Mini Hostel
- Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Tamarindo – Selina Tamarindo
- Best Cheap Hostel in Tamarindo – Pura Vida Hostel
- Best Hostel for Couples in Tamarindo – La Botella de Leche
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Tamarindo – Casa Aura Beachfront Premium Hostel
- Best Hostel with a Private Room in Tamarindo – Tamarindo Hostel Resort
Best Hostels in Tamarindo
If you’re backpacking Costa Rica and you’re not quite sure if you should spend a de days here, let me answer that question for you: hell yes! For all of the night owls and part enthusiasts, Tamarindo is the perfect location.
But once the party is over, you’ll need to have a comfy bed to cure your hangover. Check out the best hostels in Tamarindo!
Best Overall Hostel in Tamarindo – Blue Trailz Hostel & Surf Camp
- Surf Lessons
- Surfboard Rentals
The real heart and soul of Tamarindo is not found on the dancefloor, but on the waves. Blue Trailz Hostel truly embraces Tamarindo’s beach culture with its very own surf shop, board rentals, and even surf lessons for those new to the surfing culture!
When you aren’t spending town laying out on the beach or shredding it up in the water, Blue Trailz Hostel can show you a different side of Costa Rica with their very own tailored tours! From ATVs to ziplines, you will always find something to do at this Tamarindo hostel!
Best Party Hostel in Tamarindo – Pura Vida Mini Hostel
- Free Breakfast
- Drinking Games
- VIP Club Access
It is impossible to summarize all the things included in Pura Vida Mini Hostel in such a small space, but we will give it a shot. (Takes breath) Pura Vida Mini Hostel is all about hanging out and meeting other backpackers, with spacious lounges and outdoor patios, you will always be able to find a place to sprawl out and relax.
With a pool table, beer pong, a billiards table, BBQ dinners, salsa lessons, and even beach bonfires, there are tons of ways to feel a part of the community. The party isn’t just at the hostel, Pura Vidi Mimi will hook you up with discounted prices to the hottest clubs and the most relaxing pools!
Tamarindo has plenty of other bars too when the time comes to venture out into town.
Best Hostel for Solo Travelers in Tamarindo – Selina Tamarindo
- Live Music
- Swimming Pool
Selina Backpackers Hostel is a close second when it comes to partying, and first if you are looking to have the time of your life with fellow travelers! With its very own music venue, inviting local musicians and DJs to play, you won’t have to go far looking for a place to get down and boogie.
Other than the bar and in house nightclub, you will find loads of places to unwind and relax as well. Start your day off right with morning yoga, then hit the seas with a surfing lesson, take a dip in the pool, and finish it all off with salsa lessons at night! At Selina Backpackers, you will find something new to do, every hour of the day!
Best Cheap Hostel in Tamarindo – Pura Vida Hostel
- 2 Outdoor Kitchens
Pure Vida is not only one of the cheapest backpackers hostels in Tamarindo, but you will find yourself chilling in spacious lounges and enjoying the wildlife just seconds after checking in! The pride and joy of this youth hostel is their very own tropical garden which is often visited by monkeys and iguanas.
While waiting to catch a glimpse of the wildlife, rock back and forth in the hostel’s own rocking chairs or maybe just drift off in one of the hammocks. With a chill atmosphere second to one, you will be extending your stay night after night before you know it!
Best Hostel for Couples in Tamarindo – La Botella de Leche
- Swimming Pool
On a backpacker’s budget but still trying to reignite the passion during your travels through Central America?
At La Botella de Leche you will be able to rekindle that romance while still traveling on a shoestring! This youth hostel it, first of all, gorgeous. The second you walk onto the terrace you would think the hostel is a resort, not a place for rugged backpackers!
La Botella de Leche continues to up the ante with their own swimming pool, cafe, hammocks, and cozy lounges. For all you lovers out there, this is a hostel you won’t want to overlook!
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Tamarindo – Casa Aura Beachfront Premium Hostel
For those needing a place to call home base for a few days (or more) while editing photos or uploading videos, Casa Aura will have you relaxing in style in their spacious lounges with breathtaking views of the beach! The outdoor, covered patios will have you enjoying that sea breeze while you are surfing the web.
Need to take a short break from that next blog post? The beach is just a few steps away! This means you can take a quick deep, feel refreshed, and dive back into that article you have been working on!
Best Hostel with a Private Room in Tamarindo – Tamarindo Hostel Resort
- Shared Kitchen
After weeks of sleeping elbow to elbow with other travel-worn backpackers, give yourself a break with a private room to recharge your batteries. At Tamarindo Hostel Resort, you will be given backpacker prices for one of the most comfortable single rooms on the beach!
It’s not just the added privacy which will have you sold on Tamarindo Hostel Resort, but you also will have access to their very own onsite bar! Grab a drink, kick back and relax, this is what tropical living is all about!
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
More Best Hostels in Tamarindo
- Surf Camp
- Mexican Bar
- Swimming Pool
La Oveja Negra Hostel is probably one of the only backpacker’s hostels in Tamarindo which goes down the list and checks every single box! You will get a splash of local surf culture with their surf camp and lessons, a Mexican bar where you can drink and chow down, and even a swimming pool where you can cool off from that scorching Costa Rican heat!
The fun doesn’t stop there, at La Oveja Negra Hostel you will also be blown away with live music, nightly games, and events which will have you out partying with other backpackers! From laidback surf culture to tearing up the dance floor, La Oveja Negra Hostel has it all!
Single-use plastic bottles are a huge threat to Marine Life – Be a part of the solution and travel with a filter water bottle.
The GRAYL GEOPRESS water bottle is the ONLY all-in-one filter water bottle setup you’ll need. Whether you need to purify the water from a hostel sink in Kathmandu or a stream trickle in the Andes, the Geopress has got you covered.
Read our full review of the GRAYL GEOPRESS!
- Swimming Pool
- National Park
- Surfing Lessons
Sit back and relax in a hammock as you watch the monkeys swing from tree to tree. At Tamarindo Hostel you will have huge lounges and terraces to just chill and enjoy the wildlife visiting from the national park next door! From trekking through the jungle to taking surfing lessons with the hostel’s in house instructor, you will find so many ways to explore Tamarindo!
But wait… there’s more! Tamarindo Backpackers also has it’s very own shared kitchen and swimming pool, meaning relaxation and a bite to eat is never too far away!
- Skate Ramp
- Surf Lessons
We don’t think any other hostel on this list can compete with Coral Reef Surf Hostel when it comes down to chill vibes. With their very own surf instructors and even a skate ramp, you can spend half the day breaking waves and the other half shredding it up at the hostel.
Can’t skate or surf? No problem! Just kick back, relax and grab a drink from the bar or even a bite to eat at the onsite BBQ restaurant. With the ocean just a few steps away, you won’t have to waste any time getting to the beach!
What to Pack for your Tamarindo Hostel
Pants, socks, underwear… Here are some other items you might not have thought to pack for your Costa Rica adventure.
1. Active Roots Water Bottle: Sturdy and durable, the Active Roots water bottle survives the roughest adventures while keeping your drink cold or hot for at least 24 hours. Vacuum-sealed and made from stainless steel, the bottle can fit 25oz, which is plenty to keep you hydrated. Super cool bonus: the bottle isn’t just super useful, it helps to reduce the single-use plastic waste – save the planet by filling up your bottle.
2. Power Bank: Probably one of the most important travel accessories – a decent power bank. Charging your phone up to 5 times in a row, the Anker Power Bank is a true lifesaver on long adventures or bus rides. Slick looking, handy and not too big, it easily fits in even the smallest travel bag or your pocket. Charge 2 devices at the same time with the double USB port.
3. Headphone Splitter: Don’t be those awkward people sharing one earbud on the bus, as you show off your in-depth music knowledge to your new friend. A headphone splitter is a great item to bring traveling, it works fantastic on those long bus rides or easy dorm Netflix nights when you want to relax and connect with someone.
4. Active Roots Microfiber Towel: Having your own towel is a must when traveling since most hostels don’t provide them. Plus as a backpacker, use of a towel will extend further than just showers, it’s a minimalist yoga towel and a great beach blanket/towel combo! The Active Roots Microfiber Towel is really the best solution for backpacking.
5. Universal Travel Adapter: This universal travel adapter is the best we’ve found. Covering over 150 countries, you’ll always have the right plug charge your phone. You can also charge up to 5 devices simultaneously with the multiple USB ports.
6. Playing Cards: Name your ideal night: I’m for a few cheap beers and some card games. Oh, and you don’t even have to be drinking to enjoy a game – having cards with you traveling definitely helps out on those long airplane or beach days! Make sure to snag a waterproof deck to protect from the pool, ocean or Chang.
Let your hair hang down and hang loose, the surf culture in Tamarindo is the stuff of legends. Regardless if you are looking to take a board and hit the waves or nurse a beer all day long, Tamarindo is a place where chill vibes meet insane parties!
We can understand if you are still undecided on where to stay in Tamarindo. Do I want to party? Surf? Or just soak up the sun on the beach?
Cover all your bases, and check yourself into Blue Trailz Hostel & Surf Camp. This is the one hostel that will give you the best Tamarindo experience possible and our pick for the best hostel in town!
Go hang ten or show off your dance moves, your adventure in Tamarindo awaits!
Costa Rica is a relatively safe country but, that being said, don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of Travel Insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Do you own or run a kick ass hostel? Want to be featured in this list? Get in touch at [email protected]
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, buy a book or sort your insurance, I’ll earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only link to stuff I’ve actually used and never endorse crap. Your support helps me keep the site going.