A thriving surf scene, spectacular beaches, and incredible sunsets, Canggu is nothing short of paradise. It has so much to offer travelers and backpackers, from great food to wild nights out.
But with so many places to choose from figuring out where to stay in Canggu can be overwhelming. That’s why we put together this list of the five best neighbourhoods in Canggu.
This guide is designed with one purpose in mind – to help YOU find the best place to stay based on YOUR travel needs.
So whether you’re looking to party all night long, relax on the beach, or simply find the cheapest bed in paradise, our list will help you find the neighbourhood that’s right for you.
Here are our top picks for where to stay in Canggu, Bali.
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Canggu
- Where to stay in Canggu first time – Batu Bolong
- Where to stay in Canggu on a budget – Batu Bolong
- Best area to stay in Canggu for nightlife – Berawa
- Coolest place to stay in Canggu – Echo Beach
- Best neighborhood in Canggu for families – Pererenan
In a hurry? Here’s my top neighborhood for first timers:
- See a traditional Balinese cultural dance performance
- Explore the spectacular lands surrounding Canggu on two wheels
- Dine on fresh and delicious fare at Poke Poke Canggu
Table of Contents
- Where to Stay in Canggu
- Canggu Neighborhood Guide
- Canggu’s 5 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
- #1 Batu Bolong – Where to stay in Canggu first time
- #2 Batu Bolong – Where to stay in Canggu on a budget
- #3 Berawa – Best area to stay in Canggu for nightlife
- #4 Echo Beach – Coolest place to stay in Canggu
- #5 Pererenan – Best neighborhood in Canggu for families
Where to Stay in Canggu
Looking for a specific place to stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Canggu.
Best Hostel in Canggu: Clandestino
Clandestino in Batu Bolong is our choice for the best hostel in Canggu. This brand new hostel offers shared and private accommodations, including two rooms with king-sized beds. It has a large common area, a stunning swimming pool, and is surrounded by lush Balinese palm trees and rice field views.View on HostelWorld
Best Hotel in Canggu: RedDoor Bali Villa
This exceptional five-star hotel is our pick for the best hotel in Canggu. It is located in Pererenan within the scenic and lush countryside. This hotel boasts a variety of modern feature, including an outdoor swimming pool, and massage and childminding services. You’ll also have access to a terrace and a BBQ area.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
Canggu Neighborhood Guide
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Canggu
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
Set on the south coast of Bali, Canggu is a hip and thriving village. Renowned for its sun, sand and surf, Canggu attracts backpackers, expats, and travellers from all over the world with its beautiful landscapes, relaxing setting, and its very reasonable prices.
Canggu is divided into four distinct neighbourhoods that boast different activities and attractions for travellers and tourists. To get a good feel for Canggu, we recommend you explore at least three different neighbourhoods during your visit.
Starting with Batu Bolong. The main and most popular neighbourhood in Canggu, Batu Bolong is where you’ll find a good selection of food, dining and nightlife options. This neighbourhood is also where you’ll find a high concentration of budget accommodation, as well as a stunning black sand beach.
Set to the south is Berawa. A district famous for its beach clubs, bars and pubs, it’s here that you’ll find the best options for a night on the town. From lively dance floors to relaxed beachside cocktails, this neighbourhood is packed with after dark possibilities.
Travel north along the coast and you’ll arrive in Echo Beach. Quieter than Batu Bolong, Echo Beach is bursting with a good mix of nightlife, shopping, and dining options.
Continuing north and you’ll arrive in Pererenan Beach. A great option for families, Pererenan Beach is located in a laidback and relaxed area that boasts great surfing and plenty of stunning views.
Still not sure where to stay? Don’t worry, in the next section, we’ll break each neighbourhood down in detail.
Canggu’s 5 Best Neighborhoods to Stay in
Although there’s limited public transit in Canggu, getting around this small village won’t be a problem. All of Canggu’s best neighbourhoods are accessible by car or scooter, so you’ll be able to travel between them with relative ease.
Now, let’s take a look at the five best neighbourhoods to stay in Canggu. Each is a little different from the last, so be sure to pick the neighbourhood that’s the best fit for you and your travel needs.
At the centre of Canggu is the buzzing neighbourhood of Batu Bolong. The most popular neighbourhood in the region, Batu Bolong is where you’ll find a good mix of locals and expats, as well as a great variety of dining, shopping and nightlife options.
Batu Bolong’s main attraction is without a doubt the beach. One of the best surfing spots in Bali, Batu Bolong features great wave perfect for hanging ten. The waves at this beach are also quite gentle, making it ideal for newbie and novice surfers.
In addition to surfing, Batu Bolong is great for anyone looking to sit back, relax and enjoy a few cocktails in the sun.
Things to See and Do in Batu Bolong
– Hit the beach and spend a day relaxing on the sands.
– Learn to hang ten by enrolling in surfing lessons.
– See a traditional Balinese cultural dance performance.
– Shop until you drop at Nalu Clothing.
– Learn, practice and deepen your connection with yourself at the Practice, a serene and peaceful yoga studio.
– Rest, relax and rejuvenate at Spring Spa Canggu.
– Explore the spectacular lands surrounding Canggu on two wheels.
– Pick up a new bauble or two at Erica Pena Boutique.
– Grab a drink at beachfront Old Man’s.
– Chill out and enjoy a cocktail at The Lawn.
– Dine on fresh and delicious fare at Poke Poke Canggu.
Best Hostel in Batu Bolong: The Farm Hostel
This great hostel goes above and beyond, providing spacious, comfortable and affordable accommodations in the heart of Canggu. Each bed comes complete with a privacy curtain and a reading light. This hostel is also outfitted with traditional open-air showers, a fully-equipped kitchen, and fibre optic wifi.View on HostelWorld
Best Hotel in Batu Bolong: The Kirana Hotel Resto & Spa
The Kirana Hotel is a luxurious four-star hotel. It has a range of fantastic features, including a rooftop terrace, a pool and a gym. There is also an on-site restaurant, perfect for dining after a day at the beach. All of this combines makes this our choice for where to stay in Batu Bolong.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
Best Hotel in Batu Bolong: Lebak Bali Residence
Thanks to its stunning location in the countryside of Canggu, this one of the best hotels in Batu Bolong. You’ll enjoy a variety of feature, including a swimming pool and a modern gym. There’s also a stylish restaurant, perfect for wining and dining after a day at the beach.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
In addition to being the best place to stay if you’re visiting for the first time, Batu Bolong is our recommendation for where to stay if you’re balling on a budget. Canggu’s main neighbourhood is home to a high concentration of backpacker hostels and budget hotels. By staying in Batu Bolong, you’ll not only be able to enjoy the best of Bali, but you’ll save a little money while you’re at it.
Love to eat? The Batu Bolong is for you! Within this neighbourhood, you’ll find loads of incredible restaurants serving up dishes from all over the world. Whether you’re craving pasta or pizza, salads or sushi, you’re sure to find what you’re looking for in this hip Canggu ‘hood.
Things to See and Do in Batu Bolong
– Visit the stunning Batu Bolong temple just off the coast. For the best pictures, head to the temple as the sunsets.
– Enjoy an incredible breakfast at the Shady Shack.
– Soak up some rays and hang out at the rooftop pool at Ashton Canggu Beach Resort.
– Browse the shops and stalls at the Love Anchor Market and pick up a few souvenirs.
– Wander throughout Canggu spotting colourful and quirky street art and murals.
– Enjoy cheap drinks and an awesome time at Old Man’s. Visit on a Wednesday to enjoy one of the messiest parties in the region.
– Each incredible fresh and delicious dishes at In The Raw.
Best Hostel in Batu Bolong: Clandestino
Clandestino is our choice for where to stay in Batu Bolong. This brand new hostel offers shared and private accommodations, including two rooms with king-sized beds. It has a large common area, a stunning swimming pool, and is surrounded by the lush Balinese palm trees and rice field views.View on HostelWorld
Best Hotel in Batu Bolong: The Rinaya Canggu
Located just a short walk from Canggu’s stunning beaches, this hotel is ideally located for exploring the region. It has a swimming pool, a terrace and free wifi throughout the property. Each room is equipped with a fridge, a kettle, and satellite channels. There’s also a delicious on-site restaurant.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
Best Hotel in Batu Bolong: ZEN Rooms Batu Bolong Canggu
Low prices, incredible views and a peaceful setting – you can’t ask for much more from this fantastic hotel. Set in Batu Bolong, this hotel is close to the beach, Seminyak and Pererenan. It has two comfortable and air-conditioned rooms, and the property features an outdoor pool and wifi.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
Berawa is one of the most beautiful neighbourhoods in Canggu. Just a short distance from bustling Batu Bolong, Berawa boasts a whole different vibe. Not quite as busy as Canggu’s main district, Berawa is home to a great number of options for food, shopping, and oceanside fun.
Our recommendation for where to stay for the best nightlife in Canggu, Berawa is where you’ll find a good selection of bars, clubs and seaside lounges. Whether you’re looking to dance the night away, enjoy a few cocktail, or lounge with a coconut on the sand, there’s something for all tastes, styles and budgets in Berawa.
Things to See and Do in Berawa
– Watch the sunset from the terrace of Finns VIP Beach Club.
– Relax during the day and party all night long at Finn’s Beach Club.
– Rest and relax, or splash and play at Finns Recreation Club, home to a water park, trampoline centre, bowling and more.
– Enjoy an unforgettable and instagrammable floating brunch at La Cabina.
– Explore the rice fields of Canggu.
– Eat amazing sushi at Finns Sushi Bar.
– Sip a sublime cocktail at AR BOON The Beach Bar.
– Sample a few drinks at KOKO LOKO.
– Drink cold beers and enjoy relaxed surfer vibes at Berawa Beach Tavern.
Best Hostel in Berawa: Sunrise Surf Hostel
Set just five minutes from the beach, this hostel is an ideal location for exploring Canggu. It is also close to a good selection of restaurants and cafes, bars and nightclubs. This hostel has six large rooms with comfortable beds, en-suite bathrooms, how showers and air-conditioning.View on HostelWorld
Best Hotel in Berawa: Legong Keraton Beach Hotel
A great location near the beach makes this hotel an excellent choice for your relaxing retreat in Canggu. They have a day spa, a coffee bar and a stunning swimming pool for you to enjoy. This hotel also has modern rooms with private balconies and all the necessary amenities.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
Best Hotel in Berawa: KOA D’ Surfer Hotel
Don’t let the name fool you, this hotel isn’t just reserved for surfers. Set in the peaceful surrounds of Canggu, this hotel is a short walk from Batu Belig Beach. It has a rooftop terrace, a swimming pool, and amazing views. All of this combined makes it out choice for where to stay in Berawa.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
The coolest neighbourhood in Canggu has a great mix of nightlife, shopping, beaches and more. Echo Beach boasts a central location but lacks the throngs of tourists and travellers. Here you can enjoy all the perks of paradise without the crowds and noise.
With its black sand beaches, delicious restaurants, cosy cafes, local boutiques and lively beach clubs, Echo Beach is a must visit Changgu destination for culture vultures, trendy travellers and tourists in the know.
Echo Beach is also home to some of Canggu’s most amazing restaurants. You’ll find delicious options and fresh offerings from all over the world!
Things to See and Do in Echo Beach
– Wander out and see the amazing Tanah Lot Temple.
– Ride horses along the beach or through the lush rice fields.
– Hit the waves and surf in one of Bali’s newest surf spots.
– Escape the sun and climb to new heights at Bali Climbing.
– Shop for high-quality and unique clothing at Uptown Girl Echo Beach.
– Enjoy a great meal and stunning views at the Echo Beach Club.
– Kickstart your day with a great breakfast at Grocer & Grind.
– Dine of succulent seafood and delightful sangria at Circo.
– Take a stroll along the black sands of Echo Beach.
– Check out Echo Beach’s Sunday Session at Deus Ex Machina.
Best Hostel in Echo Beach: Canggu Surfing House
This charming four-bedroom hostel is located near Canggu’s Echo Beach. It has a spacious kitchen, a comfortable common room, and deluxe dorms with comfortable mattresses and power sources. This hostel also has hot showers and air-conditioning. Enjoy the best bars, restaurants and surf spots just a short walk away.View on HostelWorld
Best Hotel in Echo Beach: FRii Bali Echo Beach
FRii Bali Echo Beach is a modern and stylish three-star hotel. It offers a range of great amenities including a rooftop terrace, a pool, and a coffee bar. Each room comes complete with bottled water, free wifi, and café/satellite channels. There’s also a superb in-house restaurant.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
Best Hotel in Echo Beach: Ecosfera Hotel
Ecosfera Hotel is our top choice for where to stay in Echo Beach. This chic and relaxing four-star hotel is ideally located in Canggu. It has modern rooms and a myriad of features, like a sauna, a swimming pool, and a free shuttle service. You can also rent bikes on-site.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
Located at the northwestern edge of Canggu is the laidback village of Pererenan. This up-and-coming area has a thriving surf scene, trendy cafes, and plenty of stunning views and natural scenery.
A great choice for families visiting Canggu, Pererenan is where you and your kids can enjoy a myriad of fun and adventures. From riding horses and learning to surf to exploring the rice fields and lounging on the beach, there’s plenty to see and do in Pererenan to entertain kids and adults of all ages.
Keen to explore outside of Canggu? Pererenan is ideally located just north of Seminyak, making it a great base from which to explore the island’s many spectacular sights and landmarks.
Things to See and Do in Pererenan
– Enjoy a delicious meal at Loop Pool Bar and Restaurant.
– Satisfy your sweet tooth with dessert at Made’s Banana Flour Company.
– Start your day well with a great breakfast at Rise And Shine Café.
– Rent bikes and cruise around the region on two wheels.
– Learn to surf in the calm waters of Canggu.
– Soak up the sunshine on the black sands of Pererenan Beach.
– Explore the lush rice fields and terraces that are set just outside of Canggu.
– Run, jump, splash and play at Taman Segara Madu Water Park.
– Visit the Pura Babadan Hindu temple.
Best Hostel in Pererenan: The Hideout Hostel
The Hideout Hostel is a relaxing and serene boutique property in Canggu. Set on a large piece of land, this property boasts a swimming pool, a yoga shala and a stunning garden. It also has free wifi and air-conditioned dorms with custom beds, reading lamps and charging ports.View on HostelWorld
Best Hotel in Pererenan: Sense Canggu Beach Hotel
This is a great place to stay if you’re travelling as a family to Canggu. Located in the peaceful countryside, this hotel is a short walk from the beach. Guests can enjoy relaxing on the rooftop terrace or swimming in the pool. There’s also a pool just for kids!View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
Best Hotel in Pererenan: RedDoor Bali Villa
This exceptional five-star hotel is our pick for where to stay in Pererenan. It is located within Canggu’s scenic and lush countryside. This hotel boasts a variety of modern feature, including an outdoor swimming pool, and massage and childminding services. You’ll also have access to a terrace and a BBQ area.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Canggu
Canggu is a truly beautiful beach region that is famous for its surf scene, yoga studios and its laid-back way of life. It’s where travellers of all ages can come to enjoy the sunshine, stunning views and a relaxing atmosphere and vibe. Whether you’re looking to lounge on the beach or chase your pipe dreams, there’s something for everyone in Canggu, Bali.
If you’re still not sure where to stay in Canggu, here’s a quick recap of our favourite places.
Clandestino gets our vote for the best hostel in Canggu thanks to its comfortable rooms, great views and stunning swimming pool.
Another good option is the RedDoor Bali Villa. An incredible five-star hotel set in Pererenan, this hotel is surrounded by scenic countryside and has modern features, including a pool.
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments below!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email email@example.com to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.