As the largest city in the state, Colorado Springs lives up to its name as a fount of amazing history, culture and fantastic natural spectacles for you to see all around you. Aside from this, there is also an eclectic range of accommodation for you to choose from here, handpicked by us!
With the perfect balance of urban and rural landscapes, you will be spoilt for choice of adventures and exploring to get your teeth into during your stay.
With so much on offer, it can be quite overwhelming when trying to decide where to stay in Colorado Springs. But with our easy, step-by-step guide, you’ll find the best areas to stay in Colorado Springs to meet your interests and budget!
Without further ado, here’s our guide to where to stay in Colorado Springs, Colorado.
Quick Tips: Where to Stay in Colorado Springs
- Where to stay in Colorado Springs for your first time: Old Colorado City
- Where to stay in Colorado Springs on a budget: Cimarron Hills
- Where to stay in Colorado Springs for nightlife: Middle Shooks Run
- Coolest place to stay in Colorado Springs: Manitou Springs
- Where to stay in Colorado Springs for families: Fort Carson
- If you want to get out of the center of the city then you can head to Red Rock Canyon.
- Find out all there is to know about military aircraft at the National Museum of World War II Aviation.
- For some really personal history, head to the Penrose Heritage Museum.
Looking for a specific stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Colorado Springs. And if you want to make your trip even more special, why not check out the best treehouses and cabins in Colorado?
Before you decide on your accommodation, make sure what you want to explore and choose your home accordingly. There are many awesome things to do in Colorado Springs, so plan ahead!
Best Hostel in Colorado Springs: Colorado Adventure Hostel
If you’re looking for adventure and a chance to explore this is the perfect hostel for you. This is a clean, affordable lodging where you’ll be sure to make friends and meet other travellers too.
For a vibrant, uplifting and trendy hostel, all with a low price tag, then look no further than here!VIEW ON HOSTELWORLD
Best Airbnb in Colorado Springs: Characterful Base Camp in Old Colorado City
This is a delightful guesthouse in the heart of the city’s oldest neighbourhood. Almost brand new, this studio offers a chilled out atmosphere, the perfect place to relax after a day of exploring this amazing city.
With two bedrooms and a family bathroom, you’ll enjoy some private space, as well as some great social areas to enjoy a meal together in the evenings!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Colorado Springs: The Broadmoor
Just a four-minute drive from Cheyenne Mountain Zoo is this delightful and towering hotel, with everything you could need to make this your most luxurious holiday yet!
There are a roundtrip airport shuttle and self-parking for convenience, as well as both an indoor pool and an outdoor pool. You’ll not want to leave once you’re here!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Colorado Springs
Old Colorado City
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
Middle Shooks Run
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
With so much history, culture and scenery to enjoy, Colorado Springs is one the best places to visit in Colorado!
Colorado Springs’ Top 5 Neighborhoods to Stay In
As the largest city in the state of Colorado, Colorado Springs is the hub of this region and is bustling with exciting activities to try out and culture to explore. There is such a range of neighbourhoods here, from rural outcrops to exciting city centre areas and all of them are in this article to help you pick what will suit you best!
Situated near the base of Pikes Peak on the eastern edge of the southern Rocky Mountains, this city is the perfect place to get the balance of rural escapes and urban exploration. With a population of just under half a million, you’ll have plenty to do but won’t be overwhelmed by the size of the city.
In 2017 and 2018, Colorado Springs was voted the most desirable place to live in the US and it’s easy to see why! If you’re coming here for the first time, the best place for you to stay is Old Colorado City. It’s the most historic neighbourhood in the area and you’ll feel like you stepped back in time!
Colorado Springs is ideally located for those of you who enjoy being in the great outdoors and that’s why we have two neighbourhoods that are outside of the main urban area. The coolest place to stay in Colorado Springs is Manitou Springs. Here, you can access the beautiful Rocky Mountains and the valleys and waterfalls within. Hiking in Colorado, exploring nature and stunning geological features are what will characterise your stay in this area. The other option is for a more family-friendly rural area, of Fort Carson. With access to the Cheyenne Mountains, there are loads of activities, like zip wire tours and even a mountain zoo for you and the kids to enjoy.
Colorado Springs can be a truly luxurious place to stay and we have found some of the best accommodation this city has to offer. But it isn’t exclusively for people who can fork out the cash. If you want to travel here but don’t want to break the bank, that’s fine! The best place for you to stay in Colorado Springs is Cimarron Hills. To the eastern side of the city, there are loads of green spaces and museums to explore here!
Colorado Springs may be spectacular and beautiful in the day, but this doesn’t change by night. For the night owls among you who have come not just for amazing days, but amazing nights too, the best neighbourhood for you is Middle Shooks Run. Not only are the bars and restaurants brilliant here, but there’s also some lovely parks and lakeside retreats for you to try to cure those tired heads!
Getting to Colorado Springs is really easy, no matter how far you’re coming from. The city is also a popular stopover for those road-tripping through Colorado. Interstate highways run in and out of the city, and railways are abundant here too. If you’re coming from further afield, Colorado Springs Airport is the second-largest commercial airport in the state, so you can be sure it’s efficient and should be able to bring you in from all sorts of the places! Cycling in the city and the surrounding national parks is also widely catered for, so make sure you bring your bikes if you can, or hire one while you’re here!
Want to buy a great souvenir or take a hot air balloon ride? Then the best place for you to stay on your trip to Colorado Springs is Old Colorado City. This ancient neighbourhood has so many interesting and beautiful features for you to explore and you’ll feel like you’ve stepped back in time during your stay here.
Just outside of the city centre, you’ll be well-connected but also not overwhelmed by the bustle of the city centre. Instead, you’ll have a tranquil stay with easy access to the surrounding countryside.
Things to See and Do in Old Colorado City:
– To step back in time and to grab some great souvenirs, then head to Old Colorado City’s main street and do some shopping in some of the oldest buildings in the city!
– The best way to see the city? From the sky of course! Jump aboard a hot air balloon from the centre of the city and get views spanning 100 miles in all directions!
– If you want to get out of the centre of the city then you can head to Red Rock Canyon. It is similar to the Garden of the Gods, which we recommend as one of the coolest places to visit in Colorado Springs, but it’s slightly smaller and less busy.
– Find out all there is to know about military aircraft at the National Museum of World War II Aviation. If you’re a bit of a history nerd, this is the best place to visit in Old Colorado City.
– For some really personal history, head to the Penrose Heritage Museum. With a load of artefacts documenting the history of this region, you’ll learn all about your surroundings in no time!
Best Airbnb in Old Colorado City: Downtown Old Colorado City with Panoramic Views
Enjoy a late-night cocktail or an early morning coffee on your balcony overlooking the amazing Rocky Mountains in this delightful second-floor apartment! Just two blocks away from restaurants and coffee shops, it is perfectly situated for all your needs.VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Old Colorado City: Travelodge by Wyndham Colorado Springs
This familiar brand of hotel will guarantee you a top-quality stay at a reasonable price, right at the heart of Old Colorado City. With an indoor pool and spacious rooms, you’ll be within a stone’s throw of some of the best local attractions, like the Seven Falls!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Old Colorado City: Spurs n Lace Bed & Breakfast
if you want a more personal, local service then this is the best choice for you. With a scrummy complimentary breakfast and local owners happy to help you plan your stay, you’ll be waited on hand and foot here, and all within a short drive of Old Colorado City’s best local attractions!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Colorado Springs is the perfect place to visit for everyone, whether you want a luxurious getaway or to travel as cheaply as possible. It can be a stressful process when you’re trying to save some money but also see some amazing sights, so that’s why we’ve done all the hard work for you!
Cimarron Hills is located in the east of the city centre but is still really well connected. Here, you’ll find the perfect mixture of urban and rural and a range of activities to match!
Things to See and Do in Cimarron Hills:
– If you’re an animal lover, head to Eastridge Dog Park. Here, you can bring your own four-legged pal, or meet someone else’s!
– Palmer Park is the east of the city’s answer to the mountains of the west. This is the best place to visit in Colorado Springs for small-scale, but still beautiful hiking trails.
– Get out into the countryside whilst also getting competitive. Covert Ops Paintball will give you a chance to burn off some steam, as well as get outside!
– Try your hand at golf at the delightful Cherokee Ridge Golf Course! Whether you’re an experienced golfer or an absolute novice you’ll have a fantastic time in the great outdoors!
– If you’re a science nerd, why not head to the Peterson Air & Space Museum! There’s simulators as well as some fascinating exhibitions to fully immerse yourself into the life of a pilot, both in the sky and beyond!
Best Airbnb in Cimarron Hills: Stunning 2BR 2BA Townhouse
This is a modern and contemporary space, perfect for those of you who want somewhere to relax after your day of adventures. With a. large TV, you can snuggle up on the sofa with your friends or family, after enjoying a large meal cooked up in the fully equipped kitchen. With enough room for 6 guests, this is a great place to come for a group getaway.VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Cimarron Hills: Holiday Inn Express & Suites
Here, you’ll have the option of having your own private space in the form of a suite, or the cheaper option of a room. The suites come equipped with a small kitchen to cook up your own meals and with a little sitting space too. Just a short drive from Springs Ranch Golf Club, you’ll be nice and close to popular activities nearby too!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Cimarron Hills: Fairfield by Marriott
Enjoy large, spacious rooms with stunning views over the nearby mountains and countryside. Fancy a dip in the pool? No problem! The indoor pool is available for use all year round and will give you a chance to unwind on your break here. A complimentary breakfast will set you up for a day of exploring Cimarron Hills!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Colorado Springs isn’t just for nature lovers or adventurers – if you want to take on the night, this can also be such a fun place to visit. Scattered with fascinating museums and beautiful parks, Middle Shooks Run is only slightly out of the city centre. This means you can enjoy the hustle and bustle of the nightlife, whilst also having some peace and quiet to escape to.
Things to See and Do in Middle Shooks Run:
– Learn all about local firefighters, Dr Lester L Williams and even take a walk around the Hall of Flame! The Dr Lester L Williams Fire Museum is a must-visit.
– Discover some native American art of the region and begin to understand the ancient culture of those who once lived here at the Colorado Springs Pioneers Museum!
– Memorial Park is a great place to visit to fight off that hangover. There are a skate park and a lake where you can even hire a boat and get out on the water!
– Take a wander around Monument Valley Park. You can either take a leisurely walk around one of the ponds or a proper hike up the hills.
– Some of the best nights out can be found in this area of Colorado Springs. If you’re into live music, head to the Jazz Funk Connection or Cowboys. If you want something where you can dance the night away, head to Studio A64 or Rendezvous!
Best Airbnb in Middle Shooks Run: European Cottage in Downtown
This contemporary and airy space is perfect for you to relax in. Situated in the heart of the city, this European-style cottage is elegantly decorated to make it the perfect space for you to unwind and relax in. the kitchen, dining room and living room are all connected to make this space sociable and open.VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Middle Shooks Run: Travelers Uptown Motel
Enjoy a simple, comfortable stay without breaking the bank in the process. If you want somewhere that’s conveniently located for you to get out on the town and back this is the place for you.
With a 24-hour front desk, no matter when you get in from your night out on the town, there will be someone here to help you!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Middle Shooks Run: The Mining Exchange
Be serenaded by the grand piano in the restaurant as you delve into a delightful meal, or enjoy a pre-night out workout in the gym. This hotel has everything you could need to make your stay in Middle Shooks Run the most luxurious ever.
Start your night in the stylish bar, before heading out into the town, which you can do by foot, because of the central location of this fabulous hotel!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Easily the oldest and most spectacular area to visit in Colorado Springs is Manitou Springs. On the edge of the Rocky Mountains, you’ll find this ancient landscape which offers breath-taking views, amazing accommodation and some incredible activities.
You’ll take part in so many once-in-a-lifetime things here, you’ll be worn out by the end. But don’t you worry, there is a range of activities here, for people of all physical ability to enjoy!
Things to See and Do in Manitou Springs:
– One of the most breath-taking landscapes in these parts is the Garden of the Gods National Park. Comprising of thousands of acres of amazing land formations, there is so much to see here. You can go to the visitor centre, hike or even take a jeep tour!
– To meet some furry friends and also embark on some great hiking trails, head to the Bear Creek Nature Centre. You’ll learn all about the local wildlife and hopefully see some of it for yourself.
– One of the most incredible things you will see during your stay here is the Manitou Cliff Dwellings. Dating back to prehistoric times, this is where ancient native Americans lived.
– Delve into the underworld at the Cave of the Winds Mountain Parks. It’s an underground spectacle with a range of tour options, and afterwards, you can enjoy a drink on the balcony overlooking the spectacular valley beneath.
Best Airbnb in Manitou Springs: Manitou Springs Yurt
If you’re looking for something a little different from your stay in Manitou Springs, then this is the perfect stay for you. Enjoy a large spacious bedroom, where you can cosy up in bed or enjoy thrilling views from the windows. Just because it’s a yurt doesn’t mean you’re losing any luxury either – the bathroom and kitchen are both of excellent quality.VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Manitou Springs: Buffalo Lodge Bicycle Resort
Just a one minute drive from the Garden of the Gods is this charming, yet affordable hotel. With a complimentary breakfast to set you up, you can embark on your adventures easily from here. An outdoor pool is also available for you to take a dip in at the end of a long day’s hike.VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Manitou Springs: Rodeway Inn
With a stay here, you’ll have a good night with great savings. Although it’s listed as our luxury hotel, it’s available at a super reasonable price so that you can enjoy this hotel without breaking the bank in the process.
Your room will include a microwave, coffee maker and your own fridge, and if you’re a member, you can earn reward points too!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Organising a family holiday can be a stressful and odious process, but don’t worry, we’ve done all the organising for you. Not only does Fort Carson have some beautiful accommodation, but it also has so many activities for you and the family to enjoy.
Whether it’s zip-wiring your way across valleys or going on a family hike you’ll have the adventure of a lifetime in Fort Carson!
Things to See and Do in Fort Carson:
– For the chance to try something new with the family, why not try your hand at Segway driving? There are 2-hour tours available which will take you through the Cheyenne Canon and Broadmoor Area!
– One of the most beautiful sites to see is the Broadmoor Seven Falls and the best way to do it? By a zip line! You can go on a tour around the canyons and waterfalls with your family, spiralling through the air.
– If you are a family of animal-lovers, then head to Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. Here’s you’ll not only find incredible views of the surrounding landscape, but you’ll also meet some amazing furry friends. There’s giraffes, wallabies and many more.
– Fancy a family hike? One of the most interesting trails is the Sveen Bridges Trail, sending you winding along valleys, across rivers and beside waterfalls.
– If you’d rather just sit and look at some beautiful natural features, then instead of going on a full hike, why not just drive up to the Helen Hunt Falls?
Best Airbnb in Fort Carson: Directly on the Cheyenne Creek, Walk to the Broadmoor
As you can probably tell by the name of this property, this cabin is right on the Cheyenne Creek, nestled in some beautiful woods. This is the perfect chance for you and the kids to delve into the wild surrounding Colorado Springs, and you’ll be right at the heart of the Cheyenne Mountains, where many of our activities listed above are based.VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Fort Carson: Home2 Suites
With this hotel, you and your family will be able to get some private space in your very won suite. Each suite includes a dishwasher, microwave and refrigerator, as well as 49 inch TV to keep the kids entertained in the evenings!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Hotel in Fort Carson: Cheyenne Mountain Resort
This hotel really is the pinnacle of luxury in Fort Carson. Most of the rooms have balconies with exceptional views across the Rocky Mountains and beyond, and you can enjoy a range of family sport on the extensive grounds. What more could you want for the perfect family holiday?VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Colorado Springs
Stunning scenery, fascinating history and incredible activities – Colorado Springs has so much to offer to travellers of all types! It comes as no surprise that Colorado Springs is the perfect place to visit for all ages!
To recap: Old Colorado City is the best place to stay in Colorado Springs for your first time. Step back in time and learn all about the city’s amazing history and culture!
To recap: Colorado Springs’ most luxurious hotel is definitely The Broadmoor. Modern, luxurious and comfortable!
If you are travelling on a budget, then the best place to stay in Colorado Springs is ColoRADo Adventure Hostel! A unique stay without the cost!
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments below! Otherwise, enjoy your travels!
While USA can be very safe, it’s super important to make sure you get travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email [email protected] to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.
Need More Inspiration