Girona is a city in the state of Catalonia in Spain and is world-renowned as being one of the most beautiful cities in the country! Found at the confluence of four rivers, it’s the perfect balance of fascinating culture and beautiful setting!
It has been the inspiration for some very well known popular culture and receives thousands of visitors a year – why not come and see why?
With so much to offer, it can be quite overwhelming when trying to decide where to stay in Girona.
But with our easy, step-by-step guide, you’ll find the best areas to stay in Girona to meet your interests and budget!
Without further ado, here’s our guide to where to stay in Girona, Spain!
Quick Tips: Where to Stay in Girona
- Where to Stay in Girona for the First Time: Barri Vell
- Where to Stay in Girona on a Budget: Eixample
- Where to Stay in Girona for Families: Mercadal
- Love a bit of architecture? Head to Maso House.
- The Museu d’Hostoria de Girona is an ex-convent-turned-museum!
- You can visit the eastern city walls of Girona in Barri Vell!
Looking for a specific stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Girona…
Best Airbnb in Girona: Bonaventura 4 – Restored Apartment in the Heart of the City
Overlooking Placa de les Castanyes, one of Girona’s most exciting and iconic squares is this fabulous apartment. Have a morning coffee or a late-night cocktail on the balcony, where you can enjoy the bright lights of the city centre.
This space has some gorgeous period features, like exposed brick walls and beamed ceilings. However, it has all the modern appliances you could hope for, with a fully equipped kitchen to keep you fed throughout your stay!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Girona: Peninsular
You can see why this is the best hotel in Girona by the number of visits it gets every year form tourists of all types! Right at the heart of the city, this hotel is simple and affordable but still offers all you would expect from a highly-commended city-centre hotel.
There’s a 24-hour front desk for your convenience, so it doesn’t matter what time to you arrive in the city, you’ll always have a welcome.VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Girona: Hotel Gran Ultonia
This grand old building houses some amazing facilities to make your stay luxurious and relaxing. With rooms of all shapes and sizes, each offering a TV and relaxing seating areas.
With a fantastic restaurant, you might want to eat in the hotel, but if you fancy taking a look around, you’ll be right in the Old Town, not far from Independence Square!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Girona
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
Girona is the best place to stay if you’re searching for that perfect balance of modern and ancient. Its variety means that travellers of all shapes and sizes can enjoy spending time here! With a population size of around 100,000, it is still busy whilst not overwhelming – perfect for a short break!
With an eclectic history, ranging from Iberian rule, Roman citadels and Jewish influences, there’s so much to explore here. To really get a feel of the essence of Girona, the best place to stay for your first time is Barri Vell. It’s just to the east of the centre and has so many amazing features for you to explore, like the Cathedral – a set for smash-hit TV series Game of Thrones!
Travelling on a budget? That’s absolutely fine! Eixample is a brilliant area to stay in Girona if you want to be close to the action without having to break the bank in the process! As for family time well, this city has so much to offer both parents and kids! Mercadal is the perfect balance between the centre of the city bustle and the calm open spaces of parks and green areas!
Girona is accessible by road, with routes heading out towards the coast and inland to the Pyrenees. You can travel from other Spanish cities via the excellent railway network, with Barcelona just over an hour and a half away and Madrid just under four hours away. Within the city, you can get around super easily by bus! If you’re coming from slightly further afield, the nearest airport is Girona-Costa Brava, just ten kilometres south of the town centre!
Top 3 Neighbourhoods in Girona
With so much history, culture and scenery to enjoy, Girona is one of the best places to stay in Spain!
Barri Vell is the best place to stay in Girona for your first time for many reasons. Mainly, though, it’s because it encapsulates the thousands of years’ worth of history this city has on offer in just a small, walkable space!
If you love history, architecture and the chance to get a great photo for your Insta, this is definitely the place for you!
Things to See and Do in Barri Vell
– Girona Cathedral is the setting for the famous film The Monk and it also features in Game of Thrones – so if you’re a fan of the screen this is the perfect place to visit in Girona for you! But even if you haven’t seen either of these, the exquisite architecture and the almost 1000 years history make this one of Girona’s main attractions.
– A little further out of the centre of the city is the Monastery of Sant Daniel. It is a beautiful 11th-century building – perfect for some peace and quiet!
– The Museu d’Hostoria de Girona is an ex-convent-turned-museum! It showcases Girona’s finest art and artefacts – some even date back to the Roman period!
– Love a bit of architecture? Head to Maso House. It’s the birthplace of the architect Rafael Maso and features some amazing 19th-century décor!
– You can visit the eastern city walls of Girona in Barri Vell! It’s a great spot to take some amazing photographs and see the city in all its glory!
Best Airbnb in Barri Vell: Nuevo Apartmento modernista en el Barri Vell
This is a lovely, modern space, perfect for relaxing after a full day of exploring Barri Vell! It’s spacious, comfortable and recently refurbished, so you can enjoy the contemporary feel of the apartment!
With a flat-screen TV and a relaxed atmosphere, you can chill inside easily. However, if you want to head out into the city, all of the main attractions of Barri Vell are just a short walk away.VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Barri Vell: B&B Placa Bell-Lloc
This is a delightful little B&S just a short walk from Pont de Pedra. There are stunning views out towards the mountains and the rooms are authentic and rustic.
There’s a shared kitchen and living room, so you’ll have loads of opportunities to meet new people and make new friends during your stay. There’s free Wi-Fi and air conditioning so you’ll be comfortable and able to plan your trips out!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Barri Vell: As Sant Domenec Pool&Bike
If you’re looking for a truly authentic Catalan Hotel, this is the perfect choice for you. There’s a range of rooms available – bunk beds if you’re trying to save some money, or full apartments with balconies if you’re looking for something a bit more luxurious!
The staff are super friendly and are willing to help you make your plans. There’s an outdoor pool for you to relax next to in the Spanish sun, and the patio area is the perfect place to enjoy a relaxing drink before dinner!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Eixample is the modernised area of this otherwise ancient and preserved city. This is where Girona’s amazing atmosphere of both old and new consolidating really comes into fruition – you can see it from the transition of one building to another as you stroll through the streets.
There are also loads of opportunities to spend some time out of doors in greens spaces if you’re getting a bit overwhelmed by the modern centre!
Things to See and Do in Eixample
– Take a leisurely stroll around the Central Park for some serenity. You’ll also find some quirky local sculpting work dotted around!
– Head to the Monument del Lleo for some history – an ancient spot, great for a snap!
– Overlook the beautiful banks of the River Onyer as you stroll over the Pont de Pedra. It’s a gorgeous little bridge, where you can see one of the many gorgeous riverfronts of this city!
– To see the more modern side of the city’s culture, head to the Casa de Culture! It hosts great exhibitions, concerts and activities so make sure you check on what’s on while you’re here!
– Another gorgeous green space is the Jardins de la Muralla, perfect to get out of the hustle and bustle of the modern centre of the city!
– Eixample is the modern outcrop of this historical city and there are hundreds of shopping centres, both local and international for you to peruse! Grab yourself a souvenir to take back to a loved one!
Best Airbnb in Eixample: Apartment with Very Large Balcony
Just a two-minute walk from the train station, you’ll find this delightful apartment right at the centre of Eixample. As you’ve probably guessed from the name, there is a huge balcony overlooking the city, where you can enjoy a nice coffee in the morning or an evening meal with fellow travellers!
If the weather isn’t too great, then curl up on the comfy sofa and watch the flatscreen TV. Otherwise, use this is a comfortable and modern base for your explorations around Eixample!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Eixample: Melia Girona
This hotel is fantastic value for money, with loads of facilities on offer to make your stay as stress-free and relaxing as possible. There are a plethora of activities on offer within the hotel itself – there is a gym, a hot tub and a sauna for you to relax in.
The on-site restaurant is brilliant and you can enjoy your hand-cooked meal either in the bar area or out on the gorgeous terrace, overlooking the hotel grounds!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Eixample: Carlemany Girona
With a stay at the Hotel Carlemany Girona, you’ll have the advantage of having a central location with the luxury of having your own private space and amenities on your doorstep.
With modern, contemporary décor and large, spacious rooms, you’ll want for nothing here!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Planning a family holiday can be a stressful and odious process, especially if there’s a lot of you. But don’t worry, we’ve done the hard work for you and found some amazing activities and accommodation to suit the needs of every generation.
Green spaces, parks and restaurants are what characterise this beautiful neighbourhood. There is the opportunity to see some of the local wildlife, and if the weather isn’t great, why not learn all about the fabulous world of film at the Cinema Museum?
Things to See and Do in Mercadal
– Love the big screen? Head to the Cinema Museum – it has some amazing artefacts throughout cinema’s history, dating as far back as the 19th century! There are old-school movie cameras, stills and even a Chinese shadow theatre!
– La Devesa Park is the largest park in the city – perfect for the chance for mum and dad to relax while the kids blow off some steam. On the banks of the River Ter, you’ll get the chance to see some amazing wildlife as well as taking in some fresh air.
– If you can’t get enough of the outdoors, be sure to head to Aiguamolls de les Hortes de Santa Eugenia. A beautiful tranquil nature reserve where, if you’re patient, you’re bound to see something incredible!
– If you’re looking out for the best place to visit in Girona for a family meal, look no further than Casa Marieta. It’s on Placa de la Independencia – the buzzing centre of this amazing city!
Best Airbnb in Mercadal: Luxury Apartment in the Centre
This is a large, spacious space perfect for a family getaway! With bunk beds for the kids and a large master bedroom, you’ll be sure to get a good nights’ sleep here!
There’s a huge living/dining area so you can enjoy some quality family time around the dinner table in the evenings. It is perfectly situated to get to all of the amazing sights to be seen in Mercadal mentioned above – and you won’t even have to get in a car!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Mercadal: Ciutat De Girona
This is a perfect example of a modern, family-friendly hotel, where you and the kids will be able to relax perfectly.
With an indoor pool, you can relax while the kids enjoy themselves and you can head out onto the outdoor patio area to take in the views and enjoy a book or one of the complimentary local newspapers!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best Luxury Hotel in Mercadal: Hotel Nord 1901
Situated in the heart of Mercadal is this beautifully relax and chilled-out hotel. With understated décor and a tranquil atmosphere, this is the perfect base to return to after a busy day of exploring all that Mercadal has to offer!
With an outdoor pool, next to which are some sun-loungers, the kids can stay active while you relax in the sunshine!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Girona
Beautiful scenery, fascinating history and eclectic culture – Girona has so much to offer to travellers of all types! It comes as no surprise that Girona is the perfect place to stay for people of all ages!
To recap: Barri Vell is the best place to stay in Girona for your first time. It’s packed with interesting museums, galleries and ancient landmarks.
To recap: Girona’s most luxurious hotel is Hotel Gran Ultonia – the perfect place to relax!
If you’re travelling on a bit more of a budget, then the best place to stay in Girona is Peninsular – you’ll be right at the centre of the city without breaking the bank!
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments below, Otherwise, enjoy your travels!
While Spain can be very safe, it’s super important to make sure you get travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Getting an estimate from World Nomads is simple – just click the button or image below, fill out the necessary info, and you’re on your way!
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email [email protected] to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.