Located on the Dalmatian Coast, Split is one of the most beautiful cities in Croatia, and possibly the world!
Here, you can bask in the 2,800 annual hours of sunlight, take in the deep blue ocean waters from shore (or from a boat), explore the city’s historic sites, and dine on fresh seafood.
The city is divided into eight unique districts, so you want to make sure you base yourself in the perfect place for your stay.
We wrote this guide on where to stay in Split to help you figure out just where your perfect paradise is.
We’ve broken down the 5 best areas to stay in Split, whether you want to be close to the sights, beach, or nightlife. So pack your swimsuit and sunnies, and get ready for an epic trip to Split, Croatia!
Table of Contents
- Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Split
- Where to Stay in Split
- Split Neighborhood Guide
- Best Neighborhoods to Stay in Split
- 1. Old Town – Where to Stay in Split for the First Time
- 2. Radunica Neighborhood – Where to Stay in Split on a Budget
- 3. Bacvice Neighborhood – Where to Stay in Split for Nightlife and Beach Life
- 4. Meje Neighborhood – Coolest Place to Stay in Split
- 5. Veli Varoš – Where to Stay in Split for Families
Quick Tips – Where to Stay in Split
- Where to stay in Split first time – Old Town
- Where to stay in Split on a budget – Radunica
- Best area to stay in Split for nightlife – Bacvice
- Coolest place to stay in Split – Meje
- Best neighbourhood in Split for families – Veli Varoš
In a hurry? Here’s my top neighborhood for first timers:
- Dive deep into Croatian history at the Ethnographic Museum Split
- Browse the bustling Split Fish Market, open every morning until noon
- Explore the city’s rich and diverse history at the City Museum of Split
Where to Stay in Split
Looking for a specific place to stay? These are our highest recommendations for the best places to stay in Split. If you want to stay in a hostel, we recommend checking out our hostel guide for Split!
If you book an apartment, check out our Airbnb post for a 35% discount!
Best Hostel in Split: Hostel Split
Located in the heart of Radunica is Hostel Split – our top pick for where to stay in Split. It is surrounded by restaurants, markets, cafes, and bars, and is within walking distance of Old Town’s major landmarks. It comes with a full kitchen, and the staff is friendly and knowledgeable.
Best Hotel in Split: Jupiter Luxury Hotel
Jupiter Luxury Hotel is in the centre of Old Town and it is our top recommendation for the best hotel in Split.
This luxurious four-star hotel has a relaxing Jacuzzi, free wifi, and boasts stunning views from the rooftop terrace. Guests will enjoy dining at the restaurant and capping off a fabulous day in the stylish lounge bar.
Split Neighborhood Guide
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Split
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Hotel|
Point blank, Split is one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
Located on the central Dalmatian coast, the second largest city in Croatia attracts visitors year-round to explore its historic sights, dine on delicious fresh seafood, and bask in the more than 2800 annual hours of sunlight.
There is plenty to see and do in Split for curious travellers, from exploring the ancient Roman ruins to savouring exotic and local cuisines to lounging on the beach and enjoying picturesque views of the Croatian coastline.
Split has a population of more than 300,000 people. It covers an area of 79 square kilometres on a peninsula between the Gulf of Kaštela and the Split Channel.
The city is divided into eight administrative districts that are each home to a number of unique neighbourhoods. Every visit should include a visit to three or four depending on the purpose of your trip. This Split neighborhood guide includes the “must-sees” in Split broken down by interest.
Old Town, or Grad, is the heart and soul of Split. It’s where you can find Roman ruins, grand churches, great restaurants, and the city’s most famous landmarks.
To the east of Old Town are the districts of Radunica and Bacvice. Here you’ll find great food, the city’s best bars, and pristine golden sand beaches.
To the west of the city centre, you’ll pass through Veli Varoš and Mele. Sitting at the base of Marjan Hill, these neighbourhoods are where visitors can enjoy charming cobbled streets, exquisite art galleries, trendy restaurants, and a myriad of outdoor activities.
Still confused about where to stay in Split? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered below!
Best Neighborhoods to Stay in Split
Split is a compact city that is easily explored and experienced on foot. It is a safe and clean city, so no matter where you stay in Split, you’ll be able to visit the various areas with relative ease and comfort.
But, some neighbourhoods are better suited than others for specific interests. Do you want to party the night away at the hottest beachside clubs? Perhaps you’re travelling with children and would like a myriad of family-friendly activities at your doorstep?
Or, maybe you want to explore the city’s cultural and historic attractions without walking far. All of these things are possible, but easier if you stay in the right place.
Here are the best neighbourhoods in Split broken down by interest.
Old Town is the heart and soul of Split. Built around Diocletian’s Palace, the Old Town of Split is packed with historic and cultural attractions and landmarks. The centre of the action, Old Town is where you’ll find the city’s most famous architectural and natural sights.
This pedestrian-only area is our top recommendation for where to stay in Split for the first time. Enjoy all the city’s top landmarks, best restaurants, and great shops just a few steps from your front door.
Things to see and do in Old Town
– Explore Diocletian’s Palace, the 3rd-century ruins of the Roman palace, which the city of Split was built around.
– Take a stroll along the paved and palm tree-lined Riva Harbour as you stare out at the stunning Adriatic Sea.
– Dive deep into Croatian history at the Ethnographic Museum Split.
– Marvel at the stunning Cathedral of St. Domnius, a massive Catholic Cathedral that dates back to the 3rd-century AD.
– Climb to the top of the Bell Tower of St. Domnius, and take in the panoramic views of the city, sea, and beyond.
– Browse the bustling Split Fish Market, open every morning until noon.
– Explore the city’s rich and diverse history at the City Museum of Split.
– Make a wish and rub the toe of the Grgur Ninski Statue to bring you good luck and fortune.
– Wander through the Temple of Jupiter, one of Europe’s most beautiful monuments.
Best Hostel in Old Town: Kiss Hostel
This great hostel is located at the centre of the city within walking distance of Split’s major tourist attractions.
It is charming, cosy, and provides guests with a welcoming atmosphere and positive vibrations. Each of the three spacious dorm rooms has comfortable beds, clean sheets and security lockers.
Best Hotel in Old Town: Jupiter Luxury Hotel
Located at the heart of Old Town, Jupiter Luxury Hotel is our top recommendation for where to stay in Split.
This luxurious four-star hotel has a relaxing Jacuzzi, free wifi, and boasts stunning views from the rooftop terrace. Guests will enjoy dining at the restaurant and capping off a fabulous day in Split at the stylish lounge bar.
Best Hotel in Old Town: Hotel Slavija Split
Hotel Slavija Split is one of the best places to stay in Old Town thanks to its charming décor, modern amenities, and a fantastic central location.
This three-star property has a library, laundry service and 24-hour reception. Guest will love relaxing in their comfortable and spacious rooms and greeting the day from their gorgeous private terrace.
Located to the east of Old Town, Radunica is a historic and charming downtown neighbourhood. It is a medieval district and one of the oldest neighbourhoods in Split. Here you’ll find heritage architecture, winding streets, and plenty of interesting attractions.
Radunica is also where you will find lots of options for budget accommodations. Set between the city and the beach, this neighbourhood is where many backpackers prefer to stay because it is packed with inexpensive restaurants and value accommodations.
Radunica is the perfect place to stay in Split for travellers of all styles and budgets.
Things to see and do in Radunica
– Wander the bustling and lively Radunica street.
– Celebrate at the Days of Radunica, an exciting event that takes place at the end of each June.
– Browse the stalls selling a variety of wares, including fruits, vegetables, clothing and handicrafts at the colourful and exciting Green Market.
– Enjoy delicious and authentic Croatian dishes at Konoba Cetina.
– Grab a quick bite at the sandwich bar ‘Penci’.
– Dine on fresh and fragrant Mediterranean fare at Konoba Luac.
– Explore the Tvrava Gripe, a 17th- century fortification that was used to defend Split from the Turkish army.
– Drink, dance and laugh the night away at Crozzies, one of the best nightlife venues in Split.
– Climb to the top of Sustipan hill and enjoy stunning views of Split and the Adriatic Sea.
– Dive deep into Croatia’s maritime history at the Croatian Maritime Museum.
– See the iconic donkey statue, a tribute to all the hard-working people of Split and a symbol of the city.
Best Hostel in Radunica: Hostel Split
Located in the heart of Radunica is Hostel Split – our top pick for where to stay in Radunica. It is surrounded by restaurants, markets, cafes and bars, and is within walking distance of Old Town’s major landmarks. It comes with a full kitchen, and the staff are friendly and knowledgeable.
Best Hotel in Radunica: Hotel Villa Diana Split
Located at the heart of Radunica, Hotel Villa Diana Split is one of our top picks for where to stay in Radunica.
With easy access to the city centre, this hotel is close to bars, restaurants, and the city’s top tourist attractions. It has a beauty centre, lounge, and terrace that are perfect for unwinding after a day in Split.
Best Hotel in Radunica: Apartman Varos
This charming three-star property is one of the best accommodation values in Split. Centrally located, it is within walking distance of Radunica and Split’s top attractions.
Each room has a comfortable bed and is outfitted with contemporary amenities. Surrounded by restaurants and bars, this hotel is a great place to stay in Radunica.
Bacvice is one of the hottest neighbourhoods in Split. Located southeast of the city centre, this neighbourhood is home to the most popular beach in Croatia. Check out this article for a list of the top 5 beaches in Split.
Bacvice Beach is a pristine, golden sand beach that can attract up to 10,000 people to lounge in the sun, swim in the surf, and play Picigin, a traditional Croatian water game.
Bacvice is also the city’s dedicated nightlife area. Some of Split hottest bars and most popular nightclubs can be found along its shore. Whether you want to dance the night away or enjoy sunset drinks, there’s something for everyone in Bacvice.
Things to see and do in Bacvice
– Soak up the sun at Bacvice Beach, a popular hangout for tourists and locals alike.
– Feel the music and have fun in the sun at Jabba Doo Bar, a haven for party people.
– Listen to indie rock and enjoy cold drinks at Split Circus – Monty Python Bar.
– Sip on great drinks and exotic cocktails at La Playa Beach Bar & Club located right on Bacvice Beach.
– Spend an afternoon at Café Bar Zbirac where the drinks are cheap, the food is good, and the views are unbeatable.
– Play in the clear turquoise waters of the Adriatic at Aqua Park Bacvice Split.
– Indulge in delicious burgers by the sea at Papas Split.
– Enjoy Croatian and international craft beers at Chillton bar, a cosy and relaxed garden bar.
– Dance the night away at Tropic Club, where the first-floor terrace juts out over the Adriatic.
Best Hostel in Bacvice: Oasis Hostel
Oasis Hostel is the closest hostel to Bacvice. Less than a 10-minute walk from the beach, it is close to the city centre and the city’s hottest bars. This charming and cosy hostel has a shared kitchenette and guests can enjoy free coffee and tea throughout their stay.View on HostelWorld
Best Hotel in Bacvice: Apartments Suzi Split
Apartment Suzi Split is the best place to stay in Bacvice thanks to its charming décor, luxurious beds, and it’s beachfront location. Each apartment comes outfitted with a small kitchenette, and guests have unlimited wifi access throughout their stay. Enjoy the best of Split’s nightlife from this chic Croatian hideaway.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
Best Hotel in Bacvice: Rooms Diana Split
Rooms Diana Split is in a great location. It is walking distance to the best clubs, restaurants, bars and beaches in Bacvice. Simple and charming, this three-star property has an on-site bar perfect for socializing before a night on the town. Each guest house comes with an array of modern amenities and comfortable beds.View on Booking.com View on HotelsCombined View on Agoda
Meje is far and away the coolest neighbourhood in Split. Located west of the city centre, Meje is nestled between lush Marjan Hill and the stunning Croatian coastline.
This district is where Split’s elites like to play. Home to famous soccer players and movie stars Meje is often dubbed the “Beverly Hills of Split.”
Seaside bars, upscale restaurants, art galleries, and museums are just a few of the things that make Meje a top destination. Enjoy delicious cuisine, trendy drinks, and unbeatable views in this central Split neighbourhood.
Things to see and do in Meje
– Appreciate the masterpieces of Croatia’s greatest sculptor Ivan Meštrovi at the Galerija Mestrovic where hundreds of marble, bronze and wood statues are on display.
– Hike to the top of lush Marjan Park and enjoy fantastic views of the town below.
– Relax on the pristine golden sand at Kaštelet beach, a centrally located beach that is one of the city’s best-kept secrets.
– Explore Meštroviceve Crikvine-Kaštilac, a 16th-century estate that showcases the works of Ivan Meštrovi?.
– Sail on the majestic turquoise waters of the Adriatic taking in Split from a different angle.
– Sip on beachside cocktails at Obojena Svjetlost where the drinks are good and the view is better.
– Enjoy afternoon cocktails at this bright, sunny and popular Jadran Beach Bar.
– Hike out to Kasuni Beach, a secluded piece of paradise not far from the city.
Best Hostel in Meje: Boutique Hostel Posteya
Thanks to its awesome location near the harbour and the beach, this hostel is the best in Meje. You’ll enjoy free wifi, a relaxing terrace and modern facilities such as flat-screen TVs.
Each bed has it’s own mini-shelf and reading light, as well as a plug and USB charger.
Best Hotel in Meje: Meje Apartments
Conveniently located in the Meje neighbourhood, Meje Apartments is a short walk to Split’s trendiest restaurants, hippest boutiques and most famous tourist attractions.
The apartments include a relaxing garden, full kitchen, modern amenities and comfortable surroundings. You won’t find a better home away from home in Meje.
Best Hotel in Meje: Guesthouse Villa Scalaria
Guesthouse Villa Scalaria is the best place to stay in Meje, thanks to its great location and stunning views.
It has nine tastefully decorated rooms that are outfitted with modern amenities and comfortable beds. Guests can enjoy relaxing by the pool and enjoying the sights at this stunning four-star property.
Veli Varoš is a traditional Croatian neighbourhood west of the Old Town. The oldest neighbourhood in Split, this district has charming winding streets, well-preserved architecture, and a delightful local ambience.
A little quieter than Old Town, Veli Varoš is where you can enjoy that old Split vibe without the throngs of people, which is why it is an ideal base for families.
It has plenty of shops, restaurants, activities, and cultural attractions that are bound to enchant kids and adults of all ages.
Things to see and do in Veli Varoš
– Climb the steps up to Prva Vidilica (First Peak) and take in the panoramic views of the city and sea below.
– Marvel at the detail and architecture of the Church of the Holy Cross.
– Explore the expansive Marjan Park, a green oasis that overlooks Split.
– Admire artifacts from the prehistoric through the Medieval ages at the Archaeological Museum, the oldest museum in Croatia.
– Sip cappuccinos as you stare at paradise from F Marine, a seaside cafe and snack bar.
– Dine on delicious and authentic Croatian cuisine at Fife.
– Explore the winding streets and narrow alleys of Veli Varoš, the oldest neighbourhood in Split.
– Enjoy amazing flavours and delicious pizza at Bokamorra Pizzaurant & Cocktails.
– Cool down on a hot day with a cone of flavourful and refreshing gelato.
– Indulge in fresh seafood at seaside Dujkin Dvor.
Best Hostel in Veli Varoš: Ricky
This hostel is a great place to stay if you’re looking for a quieter area of Split. Located in Veli Varoš, Ricky has comfortable and clean beds, free wifi, and two private balconies.
Providing private and shared accommodations, Ricky is our recommendation for where to stay in Veli Varoš for families, singles, or couples.
Best Hotel in Veli Varoš: Vida Boutique Hotel
Vida Boutique Hotel is one of the best places to stay in Split thanks to its central location and stunning views.
Guests will enjoy sunning themselves on the terraces, taking a dip in the pool, or unwinding with a glass of wine at the stylish bar.
Best Hotel in Veli Varoš: Heritage Hotel 19
Heritage Hotel 19 is a great blend of historic charm and modern luxury, and it’s one of our top picks for where to stay in Veli Varoš.
It boasts a laundry service, a relaxing garden, and free wifi throughout. Located within walking distance of Old Town and Marjan’s Hill, you won’t find a better base in Veli Varoš.
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Split
In this post, we covered the best areas to stay in Split. Whether you want to be close to the action or away from the crowds, sun bathe on Split’s beaches, or indulge in the nightlife, there is a place in Split for you.
If you need more inspiration on things to do in Split, check out this list of the top 20.
Still not sure where to stay in Split? Hostel Split is located in the heart of Radunica, within walking distance of Old Town and surrounded by restaurants, markets, cafes, and bars.
Want a bit more luxury? We recommend Jupiter Luxury Hotel, which includes beautiful views from the rooftop terrace and a relaxing jacuzzi.
Did we miss anything? Let us know in the comments!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email email@example.com to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps me keep the site going.
Need More Inspiration?
- Backpacking Europe Travel Guide: Itineraries, Travel Tips, & More
- 15 Best Hostels in Split, Croatia • Epic Insider Guide
- 15 Best Hostels in Dubrovnik • Ultimate Bargain Guide
- 10 Best Hostels in Zagreb, Croatia: No-Stress Guide
- Backpacking Croatia Travel Guide
- Ultimate Split, Croatia Travel Guide
Liked this post? Pin below!