This is a delightful town on the southern part of the popular tourist island of Bali. In this paradise, you’ll find amazing scenery awesome activities and peaceful retreats for you to get away from everything on your trip. No matter who you’re travelling with, what you’re looking for or how much money you’re planning on spending, there’s something for everyone here!
With so much on offer, it can be quite overwhelming when trying to decide where to stay in Ubud.
But with our easy, step-by-step guide, you’ll find the best areas to stay in Ubud to meet your interests and budget!
Without further ado, here’s our guide to where to stay in Ubud, Bali.
Quick Tips: Where to Stay in Ubud
- Where to stay in Ubud for your first time: Near the Monkey Forest
- Where to stay in Ubud on a budget: Near Ubud Market
- Where to stay in Ubud for nightlife: South Ubud
- Coolest place to stay in Ubud: Penestanan
- Where to stay in Ubud for families: Suweta & Tirta Tawar
- Head east to the oldest temple on this side of the city – the Goa Gajah Temple.
- To get an understanding of local culture, head to the Agung Rai Museum of Art.
- In this area, you can not only try some great local cuisine but also learn how to make it yourself!
Table of Contents
- Where to Stay in Ubud
- Ubud Neighborhood Guide
- Ubud’s Top 5 Neighborhoods to Stay In
- #1 Near the Monkey Forest – Best Place to Stay in Ubud for Your First Time
- #2 Near Ubud Market – Best Place to Stay in Ubud on a Budget
- #3 South Ubud – Best Place to Stay In Ubud for Nightlife
- #4 Penestanan – Coolest Place to Stay in Ubud
- #5 Suweta & Tirta Tawar – Best Place to Stay in Ubud For Families
Looking for a specific stay? These are our highest recommendations for places to stay in Ubud …
Best Hostel in Ubud: Bale Bali Inn
Complete with free Wi-Fi and a swimming pool, this is a hostel like no other. You won’t find anything as luxurious as this at such a reasonable price! You’ll receive a traditional Balinese breakfast every morning and your hosts will even organise tours for you so you don’t even have to lift a finger!
If you love hostels and backpacking vibes, then you should read our comprehensive review of the best budget accommodation in Ubud.VIEW ON HOSTELWORLD
Best Villa in Ubud: Pondok Prapen Cozy Boutique Villa
Take a sip of a morning coffee in the gorgeous kitchen or a slurp of an afternoon cocktail on. Your sun loungers by the pool, at this fantastic villa. As the property is in the middle of a field, you have to walk about 200m from the road to get to it, but that’s all part of its secluded charm.VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Ubud: Maya Ubud Resort & Spa
You won’t find luxury like this anywhere else in the town. Situated in a secluded valley by the Petanu River, bathe in the pool, walk in the gardens, enjoy the spa or simply sit in your hot tub and enjoy the fantastic views. I challenge you to think of something this hotel doesn’t have – you’ll struggle!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Quick Summary: The Best Places to Stay in Ubud
Near the Monkey Forest
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
Near Ubud Market
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
|Check Top HostelCheck Top Airbnb|
Suweta & Tirta Tawar
|Check Top AirbnbCheck Top Hotel|
Located on the southern side of the Indonesian island of Bali is the haven that is Ubud. It is one of the most popular places to stay in Bali. Here, you’ll be surrounded by rice paddies to explore and breath-taking foothills from which you can see the most outstanding vistas. With a population of just over 100,000, there is a bustling centre, but also great access to the surrounding countryside, which has its excitement and secrets just waiting to be discovered.
You can have the adventure of a lifetime or just a relaxing getaway with amazing views and fantastic food – there’s something for everyone here!
If you’re coming to Ubud for the first time, the best place to stay is undoubtedly near to the Monkey Forest. The highlight of this beautiful town is its temple which is also home to the famous Macaque Monkey and by staying in this area, you’ll be just steps away from this, and loads of other brilliant attractions! Get to know Ubud’s history, culture and vibrancy by staying here!
Just because Bali is a known luxury escape doesn’t mean you have to splash the cash while you’re here, and if you’re looking for somewhere to stay on a budget, then the best place for you to stay is near to Ubud Market. Here, you’ll be at the cultural centre of Ubud, but also with amazing access to some free-to-visit green spaces and museums.
Travelling around Indonesia doesn’t have to be just for the amazing daytime attractions. Bali has its own special night scene, and Ubud is no exception. South Ubud is still relatively close to the centre of town, but you’ll find loads of great adventures to take on, whether its white water rafting or heading on a giant swing! You’ll find brilliant restaurants serving up local food around every corner, and of course some lively late-night bars too!
Looking for something a bit off the tourist trail but still as beautiful and exciting? Look no further than Penestanan. Just a little north of the centre of town, you’ll be within a stone’s throw of the Campuhan Ridge Walk which will take you through some of Ubud’s most astounding countryside.
If you’re going away with the kids, don’t panic. It can be a very stressful process, but we’ve planned your family holiday for you, with the perfect mixture of exciting thrills and relaxing spa days. You can do everything from quad biking to getting a massage in Suweta & Tirta Tawar, which is in North Ubud.
Getting here is also super easy! The nearest airport is Ngurah Rai International Airport and if you’re a seasoned traveller in these areas, you’ll know that the best way to get around is by the brilliant bus system.
Ubud’s Top 5 Neighborhoods to Stay In
With so much history, culture and scenery to enjoy, Ubud is one of the best places to visit in Bali!
Abutting the sacred monkey forest, this area of Ubud is teeming with amazing sights to see and places to visit. With ancient temples and museums around every corner, you’ll gain a great understanding of the local history and culture.
Try your hand at making local food and visit some of the city’s most famous and visited sites, like the Elephant Cave. If you’re a culinary connoisseur, this also has some of Ubud’s best-loved restaurants on its streets.
Things to See and Do near the Monkey Forest
– Of course, you can’t visit this area of Ubud without heading to the Sacred Monkey Forest Sanctuary. It is a Hindu temple complex which not only boasts amazing ancient architecture, but it’s also home to the beautiful macaque monkey!
– In this area, you can not only try some great local cuisine but also learn how to make it yourself! At Puri Saren Palace, you can learn from some of the greatest local Balinese cooks to rustle up a storm in the kitchen!
– Head east to the oldest temple on this side of the city – the Goa Gajah Temple. Known locally as the Elephant Cave, there are loads of gaudy and interesting carvings to see, but you have to wear a sarong which is provided on-site in order to enter.
– To get an understanding of local culture, head to the Agung Rai Museum of Art, where you’ll find both contemporary and ancient examples of Balinese art.
– Some brilliant local restaurants include Pundi Pundi Restaurant, Laka Leke and Folk Pool & Gardens.
Best Villa near the Monkey Forest: Magical Treehouse
This is a villa with a difference! Slide open your huge glass doors to reveal breathtaking views across rice fields, or take a dip in your own pool! This treehouse stay will mean you are right up close to nature, and instead of floors, you have levels up the tree! With two bedrooms, there’s room for family and friends to make this stay as special as possible.VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel near the Monkey Forest: Plataran Ubud Hotel & Spa
Nestled right in the heart of Ubud is this delightful resort, complete with two infinity pools, an outdoor restaurant and an onsite spa and fitness centre. Start your day with a massage before the five-minute walk to the Monkey Forest or surrounding attractions.
Each room is fitted with air conditioning and a flat-screen TV for those cosy moments too!VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Best All-Inclusive Villa near the Monkey Forest: Tejaprana Bisma
Enjoy your own private space in this outstanding choice of villas with included facilities that will blow your mind. There are an onsite restaurant and pool, a 24-hour front desk and an airport shuttle are available too to make your stay as stress-free as possible.VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Coming on a trip to Ubud doesn’t mean you have to break the bank. We’ve got you covered for an unforgettable trip without having to splash to cash, and the best neighbourhood to do this is near to the Ubud Market.
Why? Well, it’s right in the centre of the city, so you don’t have to spend money on getting in and out of town, and there are so many free of charge attractions to enjoy! Whether you want to enjoy the great outdoors on a walking tour or visit some of the city’s most incredible temples and museums, you’ll have everything on your doorstep here!
Things to See and Do near Ubud Market
– If you want to see some amazing ancient architecture, head to Saraswati Temple, in honour of the goddess Saraswati. She is the goddess of learning, literature and art, and her temple boasts some beautiful gardens to wander around.
– To really get an understanding of the local people and communities, head along the Ubud Kajeng Rice Fields Walk, which will take you through the local farming areas.
– Ubud Traditional Art Market is not only the best place to visit in Ubud to find an amazing souvenir, but it is also vibrant, colourful and a great place to take some snaps if you’re into photography!
– You simply cannot visit Ubud without visiting its palace. With an amazing history, Ubud Palace plays host to some gorgeous dance performances and artwork.
– If you want to see more of the city in a shorter amount of time, then book a Bali E-Bike Tour! Jump onto these easy-to-ride bikes and take a tour around the city’s best attractions, all in a day!
Best Hostel near Ubud Market: Pillow Inn Ubud
Enjoy a stay in this modern and contemporary hostel, which provides you with a privacy pod for your own personal space. You can start your day with a complimentary breakfast, take a dip on the rooftop pool or enjoy a free yoga class every Wednesday to find your zen before embarking on your adventures!VIEW ON HOSTELWORLD
Best Guesthouse near Ubud Market: Luxe Suite: Villa Cella Bella
Perched on a high cliff, you’ll find this brilliant, contemporary villa with amazing views and fantastic staff. You’ll have your own private butler and chef ready to serve you up some amazing meals, and you’ll be just a short walk from both the centre of Ubud and the surrounding jungle and valley!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Luxury Villa near Ubud Market: Warwick Ibah Luxury Villas & Spa
One word to describe these villas is authentic. Not only will the onsite staff offer you meals, massages and magnificent service, you’ll also have access to some amazing grounds. Stroll around the stone gardens, take a dip in one of the pools or simply sit on a lounger and take in the incredible views.VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
South Ubud is a brilliant place to explore the older parts of the city, whilst also having the opportunity to see the city by night! Enjoy some local performances or head to the city’s more natural phenomena with waterfalls and temples to explore.
For adventuring, there’s a whole host of outdoor activities to pique your interest, and of course, the nightlife here will keep you up and dancing until the sun comes up!
Things to See and Do in South Ubud
– Grab a ticket to one of the best shows in South Ubud – a Barong Dance show! Each dance tells stories of ancient kings and wars, and the costumes are stunning! A mesmerising performance for you to enjoy in the setting of an ancient and traditional stage.
– For a stunning sight, head down to the Tegenungan Waterfall. You can access it by some steep steps, so make sure you’re careful but once you’re down there, you can sit on the banks or even immerse yourself in a small bathing pool!
– If you and your friends are adventurers, then head to Outback Ubud Adventure, where you can hop aboard a Quad Bike and have a race around some amazing terrains and take in the scenery on an exciting trail!
– If you want to see one of the oldest temples in the city, then head to Jukut Paku Cliff Temple.
– There are some great restaurants and bars in South Ubud, such as Lovin Bar & Restaurant and No Mas bar!
Best Hostel in South Ubud: Shiva House Ubud
Just a five-minute walk from Ubud Palace is this charming hostel, presented in traditional Balinese architecture. Each room has a private bathroom and you can enjoy your own balcony with a view over the gardens for a little extra charge!VIEW ON HOSTELWORLD
Best Villa in South Ubud: Villa Leroy
If you’re looking for a rural retreat after your made nights out in the town centre, then look no further than Villa Leroy. Nestled in a valley and overlooking wild jungle landscapes, you can sit back and relax in a private garden with an infinity pool.VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in South Ubud: The Garcia Ubud Hotel & Resort
This hotel is luxury in a nutshell. Wake up beside a shimmering pool and treat yourself to a complimentary continental breakfast! You can choose from a variety of accommodation, whether you’re looking for a simple room or a whole suite, there’s everything available for you here! Although this hotel is a little further out of Ubud, the market is still just a short 4 miles away.VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Penestanan is a gorgeous neighbourhood just to the west of the city. The reason it’s so fabulous is that it has great access to the heart of the city, but it’s also really easy to get out into the countryside.
Head onto a gorgeous hiking trip for the day or explore some of the area’s abundance of museums and art galleries to uncover some of the best-kept secrets in Balinese art!
Things to See and Do in Penestanan
– The Neka Art Museum offers some incredible artwork for you to peruse, mostly from local artists!
– It wouldn’t be a visit to Penestanan without taking on the Campuhan Ridge Walk. Stroll through luscious hillsides along the gorgeous trail where you’ll be spoilt for sweeping views and tranquil moments to take it all in.
– For a different way to see your surroundings, head out to Hideaway Swing Bali, where you’ll be levitated in the air and rocked gently as you take in the amazing views.
– The Museum Puri Lukisan boasts a huge collection of local artworks and sculptures in a delightful ancient building.
– Want to increase your flexibility and find your zen? Then head to Ubud Yoga House, where you’ll have first-class instructors teaching you the basics of this ancient art.
– The Blanco Renaissance Museum features some of the best artworks from the famous Antonio Blanco. It also has some lovely gardens, a gift shop and incredible hilltop views.
Best Hostel in Penestanan: WW Backpackers
Located on the Campuhan Main Street is this easily accessed hostel, right in the hustle and bustle of Ubud’s exciting centre. The hostel itself runs some fantastic activities including white water rafting, sunset trekking and cycling tours, and you’ll even have the chance to hire a motorbike to aid your explorations!VIEW ON HOSTELWORLD
Best Homestay in Penestanan: Raditya Villa
Here, you’ll be within a walking distance of trendy bars and fancy restaurants but don’t worry. This homestay is a private oasis where you can relax and enjoy your own space and tranquillity. There is a gorgeous pool and each room has a lovely balance of traditional Balinese décor and contemporary convenience.VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Luxury Villa in Penestanan: Private 3BR villa with pool and garden
This is a bright and spacious villa which three lovely bedrooms, each offering their own atmosphere of relaxation and tranquillity. It’s just a 15-minute walk into the centre of town but if you want to stay local, there is a beautiful garden and pool on your doorstep.VIEW ON AIRBNB
Organising a family holiday can be very stressful, which is why we’ve done all the hard work for you. With a stay in Suweta and Tirta Tawar, you’ll have a range of activities ready for you and the family to take on.
Some of them are a bit more daring, and some are designed for pure relaxation, so you can tailor your trip however you choose!
Things to See and Do in Suweta & Tirta Tawar
– If you’re a family of thrill-seekers then why not head to Sky Swing Bali? Here, you’ll be able to take in breathtaking views of the surrounding area from a swing or one of the nests available on this site!
– If you’d rather have a bit more of a relaxing trip then head to the Ubud Traditional Spa, where you can soothe away any aches and pains from your adventures with some incredible local treatments.
– Why not learn a new skill as a family at Five Art Studio? Batik Painting is a traditional art form which involves hand painting fabrics and will make a lovely souvenir to take home from your trip!
– Jump aboard the Ayung River as you and the family take on white water rafting down this ferocious and exciting river! You will have a professional rafting guide and lunch is provided on the river banks!
Best Villa in Suweta & Tirta Tawar: Tranquil Paradise Villa with pool and attentive staff
Here, although you’ll have your private space, you’ll be waited on hand and foot by staff and a top-class chef who can rustle you something up in the fully-equipped kitchen. You can take a dip in the pool before embarking on a family adventure in the local area – and the staff are local too so can help you out with deciding where to go!VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Luxury Villa in Suweta & Tirta Tawar: Balinese Villa
This is an authentic stay so it’s perfect if you want to take the kids away somewhere that is rustic and straight from traditional Balinese architecture! There’s a small private pool or you can make friends with other families in the larger sharing pool as part of the compound.VIEW ON AIRBNB
Best Hotel in Suweta & Tirta Tawar: The Kayon Jungle Resort
This hotel has everything you and the family could want! Set in a traditional Balinese building, you can go for a family swim in the infinity pool, grab a bite to eat at the fabulous onsite restaurant or make a visit to the spa centre while the kids play in the garden! There’s even the chance to hire bicycles so you can explore the local area easily.VIEW ON BOOKING.COM
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Ubud
Vibrant culture, beautiful scenery and fascinating history – Ubud has so much to offer to travellers of all types! It comes as no surprise that Ubud is the perfect place to visit for all ages!
To recap: near the Monkey Forest is the best place to stay in Ubud for your first time. You’ll be able to learn all about the area’s amazing history and culture!
To recap: Ubud’s most luxurious hotel is definitely Maya Ubud Resort & Spa. Authentic, relaxed and exquisite!
If you are travelling on a budget, then the best place to stay in Ubud is Bale Bali Inn! A unique stay without the cost!
Have we missed anything? Let us know in the comments below! Otherwise, enjoy your travels!
While Bali isn’t dangerous, it’s super important to make sure you get travel insurance!
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email [email protected] to find out how.
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation, buy a book or sort your insurance, I’ll earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. I only link to stuff I’ve actually used and never endorse crap. Your support helps me keep the site going.
Need More Inspiration?
Writer and Editor, Ana Pereira is a California native, inspired by Earth exploration and introspection. Recently, she spent several months exploring Africa and South Asia. She spends most of her “down-time” out in the wilderness, climbing, hiking, and beyond, and is feverishly passionate about travel and health.