Toronto is a bustling and vibrant Canadian city with so much diversity, things to do, places to eat and neighborhoods to stay!
A trip to Canada isn’t complete without a stay in Toronto. Filled with must-see sights, not only will your days be busy with sightseeing, you can also hunker down in a cozy and comfortable home away from home. Live like a local, stay in a quaint B&B or join other travelers in spacious hostels, Toronto has it all!
No matter your budget, we have gathered up all the info you need to know of where to stay in Toronto for an EPIC time.
- Where to Stay in Toronto
- Toronto Neighborhood Guide
- Toronto’s 5 Best Areas to Stay in
- 1. Downtown – Where to Stay in Toronto for your First Visit
- 2. Chinatown – Where to Stay in Toronto on a Budget
- 3. Midtown – Where to Stay in Toronto for Nightlife
- 4. West Queen West – Coolest Place to Stay in Toronto
- 5. Downtown West – Where to Stay in Toronto for Families
- FAQ about Finding a Place to Stay in Toronto
Looking for a specific place to stay in Toronto? These are our highest recommendations for accommodation in Toronto.
Unlock the The Broke Backpacker’s GREATEST Travel Secrets!
Sign up for The Broke Backpacker Newsletter below to receive weekly tips on the travel-life + a FREE copy of The Backpacker Bible!
Best Airbnb in Toronto: Apartment with Epic Views
This gorgeous contemporary apartment is our favorite Airbnb in Canada, and is perfect for couples or solo travelers. Situated on the 35th floor, you can enjoy unobstructed views of the cityscape. You’ll also find shops, bars, and nightlife on your doorstep.
Best Value Homestay in Toronto: Peaceful Bedroom in Korean Town
Looking for a cheap homestay in Toronto? Look no further than this peaceful bedroom in Koreatown. This cozy base sits in a quiet residential area and is the ideal place to relax after a day of exploring.
Best Hostel in Toronto: Planet Traveler
Planet Traveler is the greenest, most comfortable, and the best hostel in Toronto. Located in Chinatown, this vibrant spot is within walking distance of Kensington Market and Yonge/Dundas Square.
Built-in a heritage building, it features secure dorms, memory foam mattresses and a free hearty breakfast. Canada backpackers will love this spot.
Best Hotel in Toronto: Hotel Ocho
Situated in Chinatown, Hotel Ocho provides cozy rooms at a good price. They are stylishly decorated with exposed brick walls and industrial-style furnishings. The hotel offers an on-site bar and restaurant, as well as a bicycle hire. Staying here, you’ll be a short walk from some of Toronto’s best sights.
Downtown Toronto is the heart and soul of the city. The economic and commercial hub, this massive neighbourhood is a destination for travellers looking to indulge their palette, shop til they drop, and take in the city’s most picturesque heritage sites
Chinatown is a lively and vibrant district in central Toronto. The largest Chinatown in North America, this bustling neighbourhood is a wonderful medley of restaurants, shops, bars and cafes
Located north of the city centre, Midtown is the Toronto nightlife district that perfectly blends the historic and the modern. It is one of the chicest areas of Toronto and here you can find high-end shopping, innovative cuisine, and world-class museums and art galleries
West Queen West
West Queen West isn’t just one of the hippest neighbourhoods in Toronto, but according to Vogue Magazine, it’s the second coolest neighbourhood in the world. Dynamic and energetic, this central Toronto district is where the city’s young, creative and fabulous congregate both day and night
Downtown West is a large neighbourhood in the centre of the city. This section of downtown is home to Toronto’s most famous and iconic tourist attractions, including the CN Tower and Hockey Hall of Fame and one of the best places to stay in Toronto for families
Toronto is a vibrant and energetic metropolis. There’s something for everyone to love, from watching world-class sports to indulging in delicious cuisines. With a population of more than 2.8 million people, it is home to a number of distinct neighbourhoods.
Where you base yourself really depends on what you want out of your trip, but we highly recommend visiting all the areas to make the most if it!
Downtown is bustling, and where you’ll find a good sample of (nearly) everything Toronto has to offer. With so much to discover, it’s the best place to stay if you’re visiting Toronto for the first time.
If you’re traveling on a budget, you’ll find cheaper accommodation options in Chinatown. It’s also got some great food places that won’t break the bank.
The Midtown district boasts an array of trendy restaurants, vibrant clubs, and ultra-hip bars. It’s a chic and stylish area best for those looking for nightlife.
West Queen West is a hotspot for artists and creatives. It’s where visitors can enjoy chic boutiques, vibrant street culture, and a stylish bohemian vibe.
In Downtown West, you’ll find historic architecture, cultural sights and the Toronto’s top tourist attractions. It’s slightly quieter than the central area, and is popular with families.
Still confused about where to stay in Toronto? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered!
There is one item every traveller NEEDS. Some travellers don’t even know they need it, but those travellers need it more than anyone.
What is this forgotten essential of the backpacker-life? SPOILERS! Guess you’ll just have to click the button to find out. 😉Find Out What It Is!
Toronto’s 5 Best Areas to Stay in
Now, let’s take a look at each area in more detail. We’ve included our top places to stay and activity picks in each, so you know exactly what you’re getting.
Downtown Toronto is the heart and soul of the city, as well as the economic and commercial hub. This massive neighbourhood is a destination for travellers looking to indulge their palate, shop until they drop, and explore picturesque heritage sites. Your Toronto itinerary will be full in Downtown.
From the historic and cultural to the hip and trendy, there’s something for every traveller. Enjoy Toronto’s top attractions and unique landmarks all just minutes from your doorstep.
Best Airbnb in Downtown: Cozy Modern Condo
A chic, minimalist condo in the heart of Downtown Toronto, you won’t find a cozier home. With a breezy balcony, clean simple style and lots of homey amenities, this comfortable and spacious condo has everything you need.
You can walk to top sights, as well as bars and restaurants.
Best Hostel in Downtown: HI Toronto
HI Toronto is one of our favorite hostels in Toronto. It’s an ideal base for exploring the city in one of the best areas of the city.
Surrounded by shops, restaurants, cafes and more, this hostel is a short walk to Downtown Toronto’s top attractions. Guests can enjoy free wifi and free entry to the onsite bar for food, fun, and great live music.
Affordable Hotel in Downtown: Pantages Hotel Toronto Centre
This stylish and modern four-star luxury hotel is situated in the centre of Downtown. It’s a quick walk to City Hall, bustling Ossington Ave, and many of Toronto’s top places to visit. Guests can enjoy relaxing in the sauna, taking a dip in the pool, or unwinding with a glass of wine at the hotel’s cozy lounge bar.
Best Hotel in Downtown: DoubleTree by Hilton
DoubleTree by Hilton provides stylish and tastefully decorated accommodation in the center of Downtown Toronto. There’s an onsite indoor pool, gym, restaurant, and bar, and room service and breakfast are also on offer. The hotel is close to shops, restaurants, nightlife, and not far from natural attractions like Lake Ontario.
Things to See and Do in Downtown
- Explore Ossington Avenue, one of the most vibrant streets in downtown, where you’ll find everything from hip boutiques to trendy restaurants.
- Join a bicycle tour of the downtown streets.
- Grab a pint at the Bellwoods Brewery.
- Sip and sample your way through St. Lawrence Market, one of the top ten food markets in the world as rated by National Geographic.
- Take a walking tour for a history of the city.
- Wander throughout the historic Distillery District, a pedestrian-only area home to stylish cafes, independent boutiques and picturesque architecture.
- Stop and smell the roses at Allan Gardens Conservatory, an urban oasis at the heart of the city.
- Indulge your senses as Rasa Restaurant.
- Hop on a helicopter tour over Toronto.
Chinatown is a lively and vibrant district in central Toronto. The largest Chinatown in North America, this bustling neighbourhood is a wonderful medley of restaurants, shops, bars and cafes. It is a district that will excite the senses thanks to its myriad of sights, sounds, smells and tastes.
In addition to being a top destination for foodies, Chinatown is where you’ll find the highest concentration of backpacker accommodation.
Conveniently located near Toronto’s top attractions, visitors to Chinatown can enjoy all the perks of the city centre without the high price tag.
Best Airbnb in Chinatown: Private Room near Kensington Market
This cozy private room is a great option if you’re traveling on a budget but still want your own space. You’ll have an ensuite bathroom, as well as full access to the kitchen, balcony, living room, library, and garden. Staying here, you’ll have bars, cafes, shops, and Toronto’s top attractions within 20 minutes walking distance.
Best Hostel in Chinatown: Planet Traveler
Planet Traveler is the greenest, most comfortable, and one of the best hostels in Toronto. Located in Chinatown, this vibrant hostel is within walking distance of Kensington Market and Yonge and Dundas Square.
The hostel sits in a heritage building and features secure dorms, memory foam mattresses, and a free hearty breakfast.
Cheapest Hotel in Chinatown: The Rex Hotel Jazz & Blues Bar
Funky and fun, this hotel is located at the heart of Chinatown. Close to public transit, this hotel offers easy access to Toronto’s must-do activities.
This charming property provides guests with renovated rooms, comfortable beds, free wifi.
Best Hotel in Chinatown: Hotel Ocho
Rooms at Hotel Ocho are stylishly decorated with exposed brick walls and industrial-style furnishings. There’s a bar and restaurant on-site, as well as a bicycle hire to help you explore the city with ease. The CN Tower is just a mile away, and other top attractions are within easy walking (or cycling) distance.
Things to See and Do in Chinatown
- Take a wander around Kensington Market, the bohemian heart of Canada where you’ll find shops, restaurants, bars and more.
- Explore more than 90,000 works of art that make up the collection at the Art Gallery of Ontario, which includes works by renowned Canadian and international artists.
- Stand at the centre of Yonge-Dundas Square, Toronto’s version of Times Square.
- Browse the small stores selling crafts, arts, and other curiosities in Baldwin Village.
- Try all of the fillings and flavours at Mother’s Dumplings, a delightful restaurant that specializes in, you guessed it, dumplings.
- Cool down at Arctic Bites and enjoy Thai-style ice cream rolls in a variety of unique flavours.
- Sip on a delicious coffee at the Light Café.
- Indulge in some seriously good tacos at Seven Lives, where the flavours are good and the prices even better.
- Enjoy great Asian food on a budget at Banh Mi Boys.
Located north of the city centre, Midtown is a nightlife district that perfectly blends the historic and the modern. It is one of the chicest areas of Toronto, boasting high-end shopping, innovative cuisine, and world-class museums. With so much going on, it’s the best place to be if you’re spending a weekend in Toronto.
Midtown is also home to the vibrant and energetic Annex, which is home to Toronto’s hottest bars and liveliest clubs. With everything from quaint cafes to all-night dance parties, you’ll be spoilt for choice of things to do.
Best Airbnb in Midtown: Apartment with Epic Views
This gorgeous contemporary apartment sits on the 35th floor and provides unobstructed views of Toronto. It’s perfect for couples or solo travelers and features modern amenities and stylish furnishings. It’s the best place to stay in Toronto for nightlife as there’s a liquor store in the building, and bars, restaurants, and nightlife are right on your doorstep. Its proximity to Downtown makes it a great base for exploring during the day.
Best Hostel in Midtown: All Days Hostel
This clean, quiet, and comfortable hostel is located at the heart of Midtown. It’s close to shops, restaurants, bars and clubs.
Both shared and private rooms are available. Guests can make use of the two large kitchens as well as coin-operated laundry facilities.
Best Apartments in Midtown: The Madison Condos
The Madison Condos offers comfortable accommodation in the heart of Midtown. Guests have access to an indoor pool, fitness centre, sauna, and balcony with city views. Each apartment is fully equipped with all the comforts of home, and can sleep up to four guests. It’s close to popular nightlife venues, restaurants, and public transport connections.
Best Homestay in Midtown: Cozy Home
Situated slightly west of Midtown in the North York district, this cozy private room provides an ideal base if you want to be between the bustle of Downtown and nightlife of Midtown. You’ll have access to a shared kitchen and bathroom, as well as free wifi and private parking.
Things to See and Do in Midtown
- Enjoy a pint at The Bedford Academy, a stylish and cosy pub.
- Dive deep into the history of the shoe at the Bata Shoe Museum. A must-visit for fashion-lovers, this museum contains more than 13,500 pieces of famous and historical footwear.
- Sip exotic and delicious martinis and more at Proof Vodka Bar.
- Experience a world of history, art, and culture at the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM), one of the largest museums in North America.
- Enjoy an old Toronto vibe at The Rebel House, a relaxed tavern in Midtown.
- Listen and dance to the best alternative and grunge music at Lee’s Place, a Toronto nightlife staple that’s hosted bands like Alanis Morissette and the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
- Sample from a great selection of local and international craft beers at Brewhaha.
- Dance the night away at Dance Cave, a dive bar known for good drinks and even better music.
A new country, a new contract, a new piece of plastic – booooring. Instead, buy an eSIM!
An eSIM works just like an app: you buy it, you download it, and BOOM! You’re connected. It’s just that easy.
Is your phone eSIM ready? Read about how e-Sims work or click below to see one of the top eSIM providers on the market and ditch the plastic.Buy an eSIM!
West Queen West isn’t just one of the hippest neighbourhoods in Toronto, but according to Vogue Magazine, it’s the second coolest neighbourhood in the world. This dynamic district is where the city’s young, creative, and fabulous congregate both day and night.
West Queen West boasts a stylish blend of historic architecture and innovative fare. It’s where fashionistas and foodies mingle with designers, writers and graffiti artists. From top-notch galleries to hipster bars, there’s something fabulous for every taste in West Queen West.
Best Airbnb in West Queen West: Sonder at The Liberty
This bright and modern Toronto Airbnb is ideally situated for exploring all the district has to offer. The property itself is tastefully decorated and has everything you’ll need whether you’re spending a weekend in Toronto or staying long-term.
Best Hostel in West Queen West: The Parkdale Hostellerie
The Parkdale Hostellerie is a stylish and modern hostel located in one of Toronto’s hottest neighbourhoods. A short walk to the heart of West Queen West, this charming spot is close to bars, restaurants, boutiques and cafes.
It has dorm-style accommodations, perfect for travellers of all styles and budgets, and guests can make use of the common kitchen and living space.
Best Hotel in West Queen West: Drake Hotel Toronto
Sophisticated and stylish, Drake Hotel Toronto is the best hotel in West Queen West. It’s tastefully decorated and features a fitness centre, in-house bar, and bike rental for guests. It’s conveniently located near shopping, restaurants and cafes.
Best Apartment in West Queen West: Charming House on Queen West
This awesome apartment in Queen West comes with a garden, barbecue area, and free parking. Inside, you’ll find three comfortable bedrooms, a fully equipped kitchen, and free wifi. It’s the perfect place to come back to after a day of exploring Toronto.
Things to See and Do in West Queen West
- Enjoy great drinks and a fantastic atmosphere at Sweaty Betty’s, a fantastic dive bar with a rustic outdoor terrace.
- Relax on a sunny afternoon in Trinity Bellwoods Park, a mid-sized urban greenspace often packed with people, sports, BBQs and good times.
- Indulge in delicious food and chic cocktails at Church Aperitivo Bar.
- Enjoy the finest and freshest oysters in the city at Oyster Boy.
- Eat amazing smoked and barbecued meats and more at Smoque & Bones.
- Take a stroll through Graffiti Alley, where the walls and building display the colourful works of highly talented local street artists.
- See and be seen at The Drake Hotel, one of the hottest spots in the city to enjoy drinks, food, culture and more.
- Sip exotic cocktails at the ultra-hip cocktail bar, Speakeasy21.
- Root for the home team at BMO Field where you can take in a Toronto FC match in the summer.
Downtown West is a large neighbourhood in the centre of the city. This section of downtown is home to Toronto’s most famous and iconic tourist attractions, including the CN Tower and Hockey Hall of Fame.
It also includes Toronto’s stunning Inner Harbour, which is a must-visit for travellers who love an outdoor adventure and exploring nature.
Downtown West is the ideal base for families traveling with children. It is home to a number of great family-friendly activities and attractions, as well as homely accommodation options.
Best Airbnb in Downtown West: Historic Best with Unobstructed Views
This cozy apartment sleeps four guests and is an ideal base for a family vacation. It’s fully furnished with all the comforts of home, including a full kitchen, dining area, and lounge. Its central location means you can maximise your time in the city.
Best Hostel in Downtown West: The Clarence Park
At the heart of Toronto’s chicest district is the recently renovated Clarence Park hostel. Clean, spacious and comfortable, it is perfect for families and couples.
It’s walking distance to the neighbourhood’s best attractions, including the CN Tower and the beaches. Guests will love relaxing on the huge rooftop patio and making use of the BBQ area.
Best Hotel in Downtown West: Hyatt Regency Toronto
Treat the family to this stunning four star luxury hotel in Downtown West! Rooms feature flat-screen TVs and free wifi, as well as ensuite bathrooms. When you’re not exploring, downtime can be spent by the onsite pool or at the fitness center.
Modern Hotel in Downtown West: The SoHo Hotel
This pet-friendly hotel is the ideal base for your family vacation in Toronto. It’s got an onsite restaurant and cafe serving up delicious meals throughout the day. Rooms are modern and feature free wifi, a flat-screen TV, and an ensuite bathroom. The hotel is within easy walking distance to attractions, shops, and restaurants.
Things to See and Do in Downtown West
- Take the ferry, or a towering sailing boat tour, to the Toronto Islands and explore this green oasis not far from the city.
- Cheer on the hometown Blue Jays at a major league baseball game.
- Dine at Arriba. Located within Roger’s Centre, this restaurant has an amazing view of the field and an extensive kids’ menu.
- See hundreds of fish, plants, sea creatures and more at the Ripley’s Aquarium of Canada.
- Ride the elevator to the top and take in the stunning panoramic views of Toronto from the top of the CN Tower.
- Sit amongst the diehard fans at a Toronto Maple Leafs hockey game.
- Enjoy a delicious meal at Ricarda’s, a family-friendly restaurant that has a monitored play place and a bouncy castle to keep kids (big and little) entertained.
FAQ about Finding a Place to Stay in Toronto
Here’s what people usually ask us about the areas of Toronto and where to stay.
Don’t Forget Travel Insurance for Toronto
It’s good to get lost sometimes, but it’s also good not to get too lost. There are people that want you home in one piece.
There’s one travel insurance provider The Broke Backpacker trusts for all his wildest shenanigans… World Nomads!
Click the button below to get a quote on your insurance or read our in-depth review of World Nomads’ coverage. And then… let the shenanigans begin. 😉
Final Thoughts on Where to Stay in Toronto
Toronto is a must-visit for anyone visiting Canada. It’s a buzzing metropolis with plenty of cool neighbourhoods, restaurants, art, and history. Whatever you’re interested in, you’ll find it here.
Still not sure where to stay in Toronto?
Do you own an awesome hostel, hotel or apartment? Want to be featured in our list? Email [email protected] to find out how.
Thanks for reading – that was fun! 😀
We bring you epic FREE content!
Find out how YOU can help support us.
We’re a big site with a big team and this job isn’t always easy. But we do it because we love it – we love providing epic and free content. We love the knowledge that our content keeps you adventuring. We don’t ask for money, but if you’d like to find out how you can help the site in more organic ways, click the button below.
Thank you for your support 🙂
Bye for now, but not forever!
If you want MORE top-tier Broke Backpacker content like this, then sign up for our weekly newsletter below to get the latest and greatest!
And for transparency’s sake, please know that some of the links in our content are affiliate links. That means that if you book your accommodation, buy your gear, or sort your insurance through our link, we earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you). That said, we only link to the gear we trust and never recommend services we don’t believe are up to scratch. Again, thank you!