Nestled in the Swiss Alps, Interlaken is naturally surrounded by stunning scenery including a load of mountains and – of course – lakes. It’s too easy to see why people flock to Interlaken – a resort town for hundreds of years.
And it’s not just about chilling out in the natural scenery, either. It’s all about the outdoors and adrenaline rushes here: you can paraglide, kayak, hike, do all sorts of activities all year round. The town itself has a name for itself as the adventure capital of Switzerland.
But are there even any hostels to stay at in Interlaken? Sure there may be loads of old hotels from the 19th century, but what about budget stuff? Can you stay in this notoriously expensive country cheaply?
Yes! You can! And we’ve made life even easier for you by creating a handy list of the best budget hotels (arranged by category, too!) so you can find the hostel that suits you the most.
So let’s have a look at what the hostel scene of this stunning place is saying!
Quick answer: The Best Hostels in Interlaken
- Best Overall Hostel in Interlaken – Backpackers Villa Sonnenhof
- Best Party Hostel in Interlaken – Balmers Hostel
- Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Interlaken – Lake Lodge Iseltwald
- Best Cheap Hostel in Interlaken – Funny Farm
- Best Hostel for Couples in Interlaken – Adventure Hostel Interlaken
- Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Interlaken – Youth Hostel Interlaken
- Best Hostel with a Private Room in Interlaken – Alplodge
Best Hostels in Interlaken
Best Overall Hostel in Interlaken – Backpackers Villa Sonnenhof
- Free Breakfast
- Outdoor Swimming Pool
It’s not exactly a villa that this Interlaken backpackers hostel is set in, it’s a huge chalet nestled in the mountains. Yep, this cool hostel in Interlaken prides itself on being low budget but full of class. What does that mean?
Well, we’ll tell you. It means it’s super clean. It means amazing facilities. It means a fun, friendly atmosphere. It means they want you to feel like you’re staying in an ‘upmarket hotel’ (we quote). They have speciality coffees. Laundry is FREE. Tips on hiking etc. are a given. Easily the best overall hostel in Interlaken.
Best Party Hostel in Interlaken – Balmers Hostel
- Hot Tub
- No Curfew
Want somewhere to party among the mountains of Interlaken? Then you should check yourself into this place. Yep, it’s got a fun atmosphere, attracts a load of friendly people and they have a bar SLASH club where you drink and party into the early hours.
Sure, it’s the best party hostel in Interlaken, but gone are the days of dirty party hostels. This place is CLEAN. REALLY CLEAN. What else might tickle your fancy about this place? Hot tub, for one, where you can chill and beer it up. And it’s all set between two glacial lakes. That’s quite literally Interlaken.
Best Hostel for Solo Travellers in Interlaken – Lake Lodge Iseltwald
- Free Parking
- Laundry Facilities
- Kayaks For Hire
Solo travellers rejoice! This the place for you. Especially if you’re a sociable backpacker who wants to make friends and chat to a load of different people from all over the world. Yep, it’s the best hostel for solo travellers in Interlaken, that’s for sure.
A comfortable lodge surrounded by breathtaking scenery always makes for a good icebreaker. The staff here are also very warm and welcoming (always good when you’re by yourself). And when you’ve made friends? Have a hike and then head to the private beach after. Done.
Best Cheap Hostel in Interlaken – Funny Farm
- Outdoor Swimming Pool
- Bicycle Hire
- Cable TV
HUGE. Like a resort for backpackers. It’s got a swimming pool and tennis courts, volleyball courts, basketball courts (probably all the same ‘court’ tbh), space for bonfires and barbecues, a big garden, and if you like late nights there’s a bar and a nightclub. And if you eat food, there’s a restaurant, too.
However, we can’t find anything funny about this place. Nothing funny or farm about it, in fact. However, it is – for an expensive region in an expensive country – probably the best cheap hostel in Interlaken.
Best Hostel for Couples in Interlaken – Adventure Hostel Interlaken
- Book Exchange
- Bicycle Hire
- Free Breakfast
If you want an adventure with your partner (I mean, the clue’s in the name, isn’t it) then you should stay at this best hostel for couples in Interlaken. For starters, it’s in a cool old villa built in 1901. Heritage buildings and couples backpacking always seem to go together.
So other than the building (complete with high ceilings and all that jazz), it’s a couple mins walk outta town, sure, but the rooms are massive and you get a MASSIVE and delicious breakfast included in the price. Good views, too. Even the dorms have good views – one of Switzerlands epic hostels.
Best Hostel for Digital Nomads in Interlaken – Youth Hostel Interlaken
- Cool AF
- Pool Table (Even That Looks Cool)
- Bar & Restaurant
This youth hostel in Interlaken is actually one of the more chic hostels you could be choosing in this beautiful region. The interiors are literally like something from an arthouse film or a design magazine. It’s all minimalism, clean lines, open fireplaces, and sultry lighting.
But it’s not only one of the coolest hostels in Interlaken, it’s also probably the best hostel for digital nomads in Interlaken too – there’s plenty of space to spread around and get some work done whilst feeling like a Bond villain or actual rich person. The price is high, however.
Best Hostel with a Private Room in Interlaken – Alplodge
- Laundry Facilities
- Communal Kitchen
Private room, eh? This top hostel in Interlaken really does have a great selection of pretty dang cool private rooms. Well, not cool, but very nice. They’re warm, have big beds and windows that look out over the town – and they’ve got en-suite bathrooms, too.
The hostel comes complete with rooftop terrace and common room, meaning you’ll still be able to meet and mingle with people before retiring to your palace of a room. Fancy adventuring? The staff can arrange pretty much everything/anything for you. And a free breakfast sets you up for those adventures.
Psst! Heading to a hostel? Don’t forget to pack a padlock! It’s well worth having one so you can secure your locker and protect your stuff!
More Best Hostels In Interlaken
Are you looking to stay in specific neighborhood? Check out our guide to Interlaken’s best areas to stay.
- Free Parking
- Outdoor Terrace
- Tours/Travel Desk
Happy Inn by name, Happy Inn by nature, this top hostel in Interlaken is a great spot for backpackers who want a relaxed but fun vibe. You can definitely find that here. There’s also a bar downstairs, meaning there’s a good place to party if you need it, too.
Other than that this place has a great location – close to the West train station (very handy) – making it a pretty good Interlaken backpackers hostel to explore the area from. Kitchen lacks stove though (does have a microwave and rice cooker). But a solid choice, we’d say.
- Cable TV
Need a convenient location? Here’s an Interlaken backpackers hostel that might suit you, then. This one is right by the West train station and actually, it’s like… an old-school train station hotel that’s been renovated and now plays hosts to lovely backpackers like yourself.
One of the coolest hostels in Interlaken, this place has a load of nicely designed dorms, fresh furniture and a general sense of tastefulness about it. Isn’t that nice? But if you’re looking for a party hostel in Interlaken, then you’ll love the actual nightclub in the actual basement of this place. The nightclub is threateningly called Hangover.
- Hot Tub
This is a summertime (June to September) only place – otherwise, you’ll freeze to death. But yes, as you might be guessing already, this is what it says it is: a tent village. Or THE tent village. And it’s set among literally incredible scenery just on the outskirts of town.
Whilst it’s not exactly a budget hostel in Interlaken, there’s a bit of sophistication to the camping. There’s actual beds in the tents, chairs and a desk (for real), and real toilets onsite as well as a bar. A real bar. It’s like glamping at a festival. A popup hostel, y’know. But also with a hot tub and pool included. What the actual F!
What to Pack for your Interlaken Hostel
Pants, socks, underwear… Here are some other items you might not have thought to pack.
1. Playing Cards: These waterproof cards are essential kit for every backpacker. Play by the pool, beach or at your hostel after a long day with travel buds, without your cards breaking or getting soaked. And once you pull out those cards, the chance that you’ll be the hero of the night is pretty high (no promises though).
2. Active Roots Toiletry Bag: Your toothpaste is lost in the depths of your backpack again? You won’t have this problem with the Active Roots Toiletry bag. The bag is made from a durable, water-resistant material, which can be a lifesaver on long travels. Super cool bonus: for every purchase, the company donates to an environmentally-friendly charity – it’s a win-win situation for everyone.
3. Active Roots Water Bottle: Sturdy and durable, the Active Roots water bottle survives the roughest adventures while keeping your drink cold or hot for at least 24 hours. Vacuum-sealed and made from stainless steel, the bottle can fit 25oz, which is plenty to keep you hydrated. Super cool bonus: the bottle isn’t just super useful, it helps to reduce the single-use plastic waste – save the planet by filling up your bottle.
4. Headphone Splitter: You’re the one with the Netflix account and your friend wants to watch too? But you don’t want to share headphones? And you’re good people who wouldn’t disturb your dorm mates? That’s not going to be a problem with this Headphone Splitter! Plug in two pairs of headphones at the same time, so both of you are able to listen to music or watch shows simultaneously. It comes in handy and won’t weigh you down.
5. TRTL Travel Pillow: Nothing is worse than a sleep-deprived and grumpy backpacker. Do yourself a favour and get some decent rest with this comfortable TRTL travel pillow. The ergonomic design (fancy!) makes it possible to sleep upright, which can be a real struggle with normal neck pillows. Having this cool pillow makes long bus rides or flights way more enjoyable – and who knows, maybe you’ll even be looking forward to it next time. If so, leave those guys a good review.
6. Sea to Summit Travel Soap: Soap can be very useful on long travels, but it’s hard to carry around. It might get taken off you at the airport or leak in your backpack. This Sea to Summit Travel Soap is the perfect solution for every backpacker with a thought for hygiene. The dry soap is super handy, and it definitely won’t leak (there’s nothing to leak). One box contains 50 leaves of soap, making sure that you’ll be clean, even on longer adventures.
Why you should travel to Interlaken
That’s that – our handy list of the best hostels in Interlaken!
And surprisingly: you can stay in this incredible location pretty cheaply! It’s affordable even to backpackers on a budget.
So you’ll be able to soak up the majestic scenery and do all the adrenaline pumping stuff you want!
The hostels here are all pretty nice and range from stylish and set in heritage buildings to what is basically glamping. They’re all pretty cool!
So if you can’t decide on the hostel that’s right for you, we can really understand! It’s a hard choice.
But don’t sweat! We recommend Backpackers Villa Sonnenhof, our top pick for the best overall hostel in Interlaken.
Travel Safety Tips for Interlaken
Get yourself ready for the adventure trip of a lifetime!
Don’t forget to sort your travel insurance! We’ve put together a roundup of the best travel insurance for backpackers – check it out here, or if you’re low on time, get a quote from World Nomads now, our favourite travel insurance provider.
More Epic Hostels in Switzerland and Europe
Hopefully by now you’ve found the perfect hostel for your upcoming trip to Interlaken.
Planning an epic trip all across Switzerland or even Europe itself?
Don’t worry – we’ve got you covered!
For more cool hostel guides around Europe, check out:
Over to you
By now I hope our epic guide to the best hostels in Interlaken has helped you choose the perfect hostel for your adventure!
If you think we’ve missed anything or have any further thoughts, hit us up in the comments!
Yay for transparency! Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you book your accommodation through the site, The Broke Backpacker will earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Your support helps keep the site going.